Traffic Sign Computer Aided Design (TraSiCAD) is an easy to use Windows application developed by the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads to interactively design and draw road signs.
Fully dimensioned guide signs that conform to Australian Standard 1743 (Road Signs Specifications) can be created using a "wizard" tool, or alternatively, non-standard signs can be created from first principles. Australian Standard arrow types, roundabouts, diagrammatic direction symbols and route marker shields are provided as well as a comprehensive selection of service and tourist symbols. Non-standard images can also be imported.
TraSiCAD can export to *EMF, *BMP and *JPG files.
The TraSiCAD wizard enables the following signs to be quickly created:
- Advance direction signs (G1-1, G1-2, G1-4, G1-5 and G1-6)
- Intersection direction signs (G2-1, G2-2, and G2-4)
- Road name boards (G2-3)
- Rural road name finger boards (G3-3)
- Reassurance direction signs (G4-1)
- Sign face templates are provided for kilometre plates, warning signs, give way signs, stop signs, pedestrian crossing signs and route markers.
TraSiCAD is now widely used by Queensland Main Roads and the NSW Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA), as well as sign manufacturers and design consultant engineers.
TraSiCAD is now available in two separate options:
- The RTA NSW version that has a pre defined group of services symbols and a RTA determined set of clearance rules.
- The Main Roads Qld version that has a larger group of wizards and services symbols with a reliance on a clearance rule more closely aligned to the Australian Standard 1743.
TraSiCAD version 2.8 enhancements include:
- more wizards
- wizard selection display
- more symbols.
For Main Roads QLD version
- Download the "Install_TraSiCAD_2_8" file to a temporary directory.
- If TraSiCAD Version 2.8 is being installed as an upgrade from an older version, browse in My Computer for C:\Program Files\Main Roads\Trasicad\Symbols (default install location). Delete the “Symbols” directory (this will allow a newer larger and reorganised modified symbols file to be loaded with the new version TraSiCAD 2.8). The new version 2.8 installation will automatically install the new updated symbols.
- To install TraSiCAD, run “Install_TraSiCAD_V2_8” from the previously created temporary directory. A default program group "Trasicad" will be created in is C:\Program Files\Main Roads\Trasicad. This will then install the new version 2.8 that will contain all of the new signs and symbols.
For RTA version
- Download the "Install_RTA _TraSiCAD_2_8" file to a temporary directory.
- To install TraSiCAD, run “Install_RTA _TraSiCAD_2_8.” from the previously created temporary directory. A default program group "Trasicad" will be created in C:\Program Files\Main Roads\Trasicad however if another location is desired, an option to browse is offered during this setup to install to a nominated location.
Note for additional symbols
Only the Main Roads version of TraSiCAD 2.8 has a larger modified symbols library incorporating a number of new symbols included in the Queensland TC signs register.
If any RTA version users wish to add the Extra Main Roads version symbols to their symbols library, download the Extended Symbols Library. Select the Symbols.zip file and extract the files to a directory. From that directory select either the whole symbols directory, a particular symbol folders or just the symbol files required. Add them to the “Symbols” directory which is found in the TraSiCAD program location (the default is C:\Program Files\Main Roads\Trasicad).
This application has been protected using a software locking tool. New installations will operate for a 30 day free trial period, before expiring and prompting the user for an 'unlock code'. The software can be unlocked at any time (during or after the trial period) by completing and submitting the "TraSiCAD order form". It is important to specify the software serial number on this form, in order to enable a personalised unlock code to be generated.
Traffic Sign Computer Aided Design (TraSiCAD)
- Windows NT
- Windows 2000
- Windows 98/ME
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)
For more information contact Traffic Engineering & Road Safety Branch: