How it works
What is the Taxi Subsidy Scheme?
The Taxi Subsidy Scheme (TSS) is a Queensland Government initiative designed to improve the mobility and quality of life for Queenslanders with a disability by providing access to affordable taxi travel.
Specific benefits of the scheme include:
- a subsidy of half the total taxi fare, up to a maximum subsidy of A$25.00, paid by the Queensland Government.
- access to subsidised taxi travel in other Australian states and territories, paid by the Queensland Government.
How does the Taxi Subsidy Scheme smartcard system work?
As a Taxi Subsidy Scheme member, you will be issued with a Taxi Subsidy Scheme smartcard, which will display your photograph.
At the start of your trip, you are required to present your Taxi Subsidy Scheme smartcard to the taxi driver.
The taxi driver will place your Taxi Subsidy Scheme smartcard into the card reader which will validate your membership. If the card reader displays that the Taxi Subsidy Scheme smartcard has expired or been cancelled, you will be required to pay the full fare.
The Taxi Subsidy Scheme smartcard will stay in the card reader until the end of the trip.
At the end of the trip, the card reader will display the total fare and the amount you are required to pay.
Please ensure the taxi driver hands back your Taxi Subsidy Scheme smartcard and provides you with a receipt for your trip.
Manual voucher/back up system
Restricted Use Slips must be carried by drivers to use when:
- there is a problem with the smartcard reader, or the taxi is in a regional taxi area which is exempt from the requirement to have taxi meters.
- If there is a problem with the smartcard reader, the taxi driver must use a Restricted Use Slip to process your subsidy.
- If the taxi is exempt from having a meter, the driver is required to use Restricted Use Slips for all trips.
- You are still required to present your Taxi Subsidy Scheme smartcard to the taxi driver at the beginning of the journey.
- At the end of the trip, the taxi driver will complete the Restricted Use Slip. You are advised to check the information entered by the taxi driver and, if able, sign the slip and obtain a receipt from the taxi driver.
How much will I pay for travel?
Where a total taxi fare is equal to or less than A$50.00, the member will pay half of the fare to the taxi driver. The Queensland Government will pay the other half of the fare to the taxi company.
- If the total fare is A$9.00, the member will pay A$4.50.
Where the total taxi fare is more than A$50.00, the maximum subsidy of A$25.00 will be subtracted from the total fare and the member will pay the balance.
- If the total fare is A$60.00, the maximum subsidy of A$25.00 would be paid by the Queensland Government and the member will pay A$35.00.
Conditions of smartcard use
- The member must have their smartcard with them and must travel in the taxi for the full journey for the subsidy to apply.
- The Taxi Subsidy Scheme smartcard cannot be given to someone else to use.
- Other people may travel in the taxi with the member.
- Members can use their smartcard for any taxi service in cities, towns and country areas throughout Queensland.
- The Taxi Subsidy Scheme smartcard will not work after the expiry date on the card.
- All journeys must be travelled via the shortest route.
- Keep your Taxi Subsidy Scheme smartcard in a safe place, such as your wallet or purse.
Members are entitled to a maximum of 20 interstate travel vouchers per 12 month period, for use with any taxi service in other jurisdictions. The expiry date of your vouchers will be the same as your membership expiry date.
Members must present their Queensland Taxi Subsidy Scheme smartcard with the voucher to obtain the subsidised fare in the other state or territory.
To obtain an interstate voucher book, members (or carers) must apply in writing to the Taxi Subsidy Scheme office.
Please allow approximately two weeks to receive your interstate voucher book.
Changed address/personal details?
Contact the Taxi Subsidy Scheme by phone, email, fax or letter to have your details updated.
Please note the expiry date on your card, as it will not operate after this date. Approximately two months prior to your expiry date, the Department of Transport and Main Roads will send you a letter and an application form.
Should you still require membership of the scheme, you will be required to reapply.
Lost, stolen or damaged smartcard?
Contact the Taxi Subsidy Scheme office by phone to report your smartcard lost, stolen or damaged. Your smartcard will be deactivated and a new smartcard will be ordered for you.
It will take approximately two weeks before you will receive a new smartcard.
Note: You will be required to pay the full taxi fare until you receive your new smartcard.
Misuse of the scheme
Misrepresentation or fraudulent use of the Taxi Subsidy Scheme is an offence under the Transport Operations (Passenger Transport) Act 1994.
All suspected incidents of dishonest use of the Taxi Subsidy Scheme should be reported to the Department of Transport and Main Roads in writing.
Any misuse of the Taxi Subsidy Scheme smartcard is viewed as a serious offence and will result in withdrawal from the scheme and/or legal action or other penalties imposed by the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
Taxi Subsidy Scheme contact details
Phone: 1300 134 755z‡
Fax: 07 3236 1579f‡
Post: PO Box 13347
Brisbane Queensland 4003
‡If calling internationally replace '07' with '+61 7'.
fSTD charges may apply.
zLocal call — Higher rates may apply outside local area or from mobile phones.