Indigenous Driver Licensing Program
The Indigenous Driver Licensing Program aims to reduce unlicensed driving in remote Indigenous communities in far north Queensland including Cape York, the Gulf and Torres Strait islands.
The program has a mobile driver licensing unit based in Cairns, which takes licensing services to remote areas where residents cannot access mainstream customer service centres. The unit provides learner driver licence testing, practical driver testing for cars and trucks, driver licence replacements and renewals and Adult Proof of Age cards. By increasing licence ownership, the Indigenous Driver Licensing Program aims to reduce incarceration rates for licensing offences, reduce road trauma and improve access to employment, education, health, social and cultural activities.
A handbook, Austroads Learning to Drive, has been developed to assist in delivering information to Indigenous communities. The book uses easy to understand language and culturally significant images. It is a valuable source of information for learner licences, their tutors and people who already hold a licence but want to refresh their knowledge.
For further information contact the Indigenous Driver Licensing Unit on:
Phone: 1800 130 886
Austroads Learning to Drive program
The Austroads Learning to Drive program offers assistance to community organisations and volunteers for the delivery to indigenous and low literacy pre-learner licensees on licence education, road rules and road safety knowledge.
The department seeks to provide community members with the necessary skills and support to deliver:
- road rules and road safety knowledge to pre-licensing learners in order to successfully complete their learner's licence
- community capacity building with ongoing access to community members with road rule instructions and road safety knowledge
- expectation in the reduction of road fatality and road accident statistics
- empowerment to individuals and communities with the achievement of obtaining their licence, thereby increasing employment, education, health and cultural opportunities.
Activities provided by the department:
- One day workshop outlining:
- How to apply for a learners licence
- Evidence of Identity requirements
- Instruction of Austroads Learn to Drive kit and booklet
- Log book and Tenure Exemptions knowledge
- Provision of TMR materials and resources
- Ongoing TMR formal and informal support.
For more information on the TMR Austroads Learning to Drive program, please contact the Manager, Indigenous Driver Licensing Unit (IDLU) on:
Phone: 07 4045 8510
Mobile: 0437 221 006