Learner licence for car drivers
You may only get a car (class C) learner licence if you are at least 16.
A class C learner licence allows you to drive a vehicle that is a
- moped (2 or 3 wheeled motor vehicle)
- motor vehicle (other than a motorbike) of not more than 4.5 t GVM, built or fitted to carry no more than 12 adults, including the driver, with or without a trailer
- specially constructed vehicle of not more than 4.5 t GVM, with or without a trailer.
How to apply for a learner licence
To apply for a learner licence, you
If you are successful, you will be issued a 'Roadtrip to your licence' kit which includes a learner logbook.
Make sure you know the road rules and what you must do when you are learning to drive.
Upgrading your learner licence
To upgrade your learner licence to a P1 or P2 type of licence you must be at least 17. If you are under 25, your first provisional licence will be issued as a P1 licence.
Before you can apply, you must
- have held your class C learner licence for at least one year within the previous three years (not including licence suspensions or cancellations)
- lodge your completed and certified logbook via Australia Post at least 14 days before your driving test (if you are under 25 years of age)
- book and pass a practical driving test.