What conditions apply to my open licence?
- comply with the general alcohol limit (below 0.05) when driving a car or riding a motorbike for private use. Note: If you hold a class RE open motorbike licence and you have held the class RE licence for less than 12 months you are required to comply with the no alcohol limit (0.00) while riding a motorbike
- not drive under the influence of illegal or prescription drugs
- comply with the no alcohol limit (0.00) when driving, or in charge of a truck, bus, articulated motor vehicle, B-double, road train, taxi, limousine, tow truck, pilot or escort vehicle escorting an oversize vehicle, vehicle carrying a placard load of dangerous goods, tractor, specially constructed vehicle or a vehicle being used by you as a driver trainer to give driver training. Note: Drink driving offences carry monetary fines and disqualification periods
- carry your licence with you at all times when driving a heavy vehicle and show it promptly to a police officer when required to do so. Note: If you are driving a class C vehicle, you may be given 48 hours to present your licence
- obey any conditions stated on your open licence
- only drive or ride the class of vehicle stated on your open licence.
Once you have held your open licence for one year you can teach learner licence holders to drive or ride the same class as stated on your open licence. While supervising a learner driver you must ensure L-plates are clearly displayed on the front and back of the vehicle (rear only for motorbikes). Failure to do so will result in a fine.
You may learn to drive or ride the next higher class of vehicle than the class stated on your open licence. Note: You must comply with the no alcohol limit (0.00) while learning to drive or ride the next higher class of vehicle.
What if my open licence is only for an automatic vehicle?
An open licence for an automatic vehicle limits you to driving that type of vehicle.
You can learn to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission, but you must be accompanied by a driver who holds a current open licence for that class vehicle and has held that licence for at least one year. You must comply with the no alcohol limit (0.00) and also ensure L-plates are clearly displayed.
How do I get my licence changed to drive a manual vehicle?
To upgrade your licence to allow you to drive a manual vehicle you will need to:
Once you have done this your licence will be upgraded to show you can legally drive a manual vehicle.