Skip links and keyboard navigation

Identification requirements

Evidence of identity requirements

You must provide evidence of your identity documents when applying for the issue or replacement of a Queensland driver licence. The requirements also apply if you have changed your name and want your new name shown on your driver licence.

All documents MUST be ORIGINAL and current unless otherwise stated. Photocopies and certified copies of original documents are NOT acceptable. 

If you are unable to present your Queensland driver licence (current or expired less than 2 years), the evidence of identity requirements may be met if you can present your Queensland industry authority, marine licence indicator or adult proof of age card (conditions apply), or 3 evidence of identity documents:

Note: one of these documents must have your signature on it.

The table showing category A and B documents are listed below.  

Why do I need to provide evidence of identity?

The identification requirements for the issue of a Queensland licence meet the national standards, which ensure that the security of the driver licence system is maintained and the potential for fraud is minimised.

Note: the department may keep a copy of your evidence of identity documents or information about them to verify these documents with the issuing agency or a document verification service.

Category A documents

Category A documents show evidence of the legal existence of your name and date of birth. These documents must show your full name. Acceptable documents are listed below:

Category A DocumentsStatus
Australian birth certificate – full (not an extract or a commemorative certificate) Current
Bicentennial birth certificate (issued for birth in 1988)
Australian citizenship/naturalisation certificate
Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC)
  • Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status
  • Visa Evidence Card (with PL056 Visa)
Queensland or Australia federal police officer photo identity card
Australian or foreign passport Current or expired less than 2 years
Australian photo driver licence
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Document of Identity
Queensland accreditation (laminated)
  • Driver/rider trainer; pilot/escort vehicle driver; dangerous goods driver; tow truck driver/assistant certificate
  • Bus; taxi; limousine driver
Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) travel document, for example resident visa Valid up to 5 years after issue
Queensland Card 18+ (laminated) Issued after 1 January 1992

Please note that the category A document must show your full name and at least one of the documents (Category A or B) must show your signature.

Category B documents

Category B documents establish evidence of the use of your name in the community. Acceptable documents are listed below:

Category B DocumentsStatus
Australian Defence Force photo identity card (excluding civilians) Current
Australian firearm licence (with photo)
Australian Security Guard/Crowd Controller Licence (with photo)
Department of Veterans' Affairs/Centrelink Pensioner Concession card (including Healthcare cards)
Educational institution student identity document (must include photo and/or signature)
Financial institution debit/credit card (must include signature and embossed/printed name)
Interstate government-issued or government-approved Proof of Age Card
Medicare card

Note: Category B documents that show your initial/s and surname are acceptable providing the initial/s and full surname match the full name shown on your category A document.  

Evidence of Queensland residential address

If your current Queensland residential address is not shown on one of the category A or B documents, you must show an 'evidence of Queensland residential address' document. Acceptable documents are listed below:

Queensland residential address documentsStatus
Australian Electoral Commission document (e.g. Acknowledgement of electoral enrolment letter or electoral enrolment card) Current
Contract of property purchase, lease/rental document, mortgage/land ownership certificate
Electricity, gas or telephone account
Queensland local government rates notes
Queensland land tax valuation notice
Queensland vehicle registration certificate
Queensland Driver Licence or Vehicle registration renewal notice
Bank Statement issued within the last 6 months (must be accompanied by corresponding debit/credit card)
Official letter from Centrelink or the Department of Human Services Issued with the last 6 months
Australian Taxation Office (ATO) assessment/Tax file number confirmation notice Current or previous financial year

The Australian Taxation Office recommends that you block out your tax file number prior to presenting this document.

If you are genuinely unable to show one of the above documents, you may:

Change of name requirements

If you have changed your name or the details of your name are different on your identification documents to be shown, you must show an official 'evidence of change of name document' from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Only original documents can be accepted.

Acceptable documents as listed below:

Change of Name documentsStatus
Australian marriage certificate (ceremonial marriage certificates are not acceptable)# Issued by relevant Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages
Australian civil partnership/relationship certificate
Australian Change of Name certificate
Australian birth certificate (amended with/without notations)
Divorce papers Decree Nisi or Absolute (must show the name being reverted to) Issued by relevant court
Deed poll Issued prior to 1 February 2004

#An official overseas marriage certificat is acceptable if presented with either:

  • a category A document in your married name
  • two category B documents in your married name.

The overseas marriage certificate must show an official crest and be appropriately registered. 

What if I am unable to show a particular type of evidence of identity document?

If you are unable to show a particular type of evidence of identity document, please phone us on 13 23 80 or visit a customer service centre, authorised Queensland Government Agency Program Office or licence issuing police station for further advice.

Last updated
07 November 2013