Gateway upgrade north—Nudgee to Bracken Ridge
Upgrade of Gateway Motorway between Nudgee and Bracken Ridge
Gateway Motorway between Nudgee and Bracken Ridge
To reduce congestion and improve traffic safety and efficiency on the motorway
Department of Transport and Main Roads
The Australian Government and Queensland Government have committed funding for the Gateway Motorway Upgrade
- Metropolitan Region
Major construction has now commenced on the jointly funded $1.143 billion Gateway Upgrade North project ($914.18 million from the Federal Government and $228.54 million from the State Government on a 80:20 split).
The original Gateway Upgrade North Preferred Plan was released to the public in October 2013. As a result of the tender process, a number of key innovations have been made to improve the Preferred Plan, including:
- Future proofing the motorway by making allowance for the 6 lane upgrade to be widened to 8 lanes in the future, accommodating forecasted traffic increases and population growth.
- Incorporating an off-road pedestrian and bicycle path along the entire length of the project with covered rest areas and a new pedestrian/cycle connection over Sandgate Road/the Shorncliffe rail line.
- Constructing a new northbound bridge over Sandgate Road and the Shorncliffe rail line to replace the existing bridge and avoid long term maintenance issues.
- Improved outcomes for the Deagon Racecourse. Under the Preferred Plan the racetrack had to be realigned, however under the revised design the track will be unaffected and only the starting chute will be relocated.
- Significantly reduced impact on the Deagon Wetlands.
- Relocation of the motorway ramps to and from the upgraded Deagon Deviation to improve safety outcomes and increase capacity.
- Rehabilitation of the Gateway Motorway between Bracken Ridge and the Bruce Highway including pavement and safety improvements.
For more information about this project including current construction notifications or to sign up to receive information, visit www.gatewayupgradenorth.com.au.
- 2007 to 2011—planning study of Gateway Motorway between Nudgee and the Bruce Highway; community consultation
- 2011—Gateway Motorway North project draft plan released; community consultation about Deagon Deviation options
- 2012 to 2013—development of preferred plan for Gateway Upgrade North
- Late 2013—release of the preferred plan and announcement of joint funding
- Late 2013 to mid-2015—detailed design and procurement of tenderers for major works
- September 2014—start of preliminary works to prepare the site
- Mid-2015—contract awarded for the major works
- February 2016—start of major works construction
- Late 2018—completion and commissioning