Labrador-Carrara Road and Ashmore Road intersection upgrade
The Labrador–Carrara Road and Ashmore Road project will upgrade the roundabout to a signalised intersection to improve traffic flows and cater for future traffic volumes.
Labrador-Carrara Road (Ross Street and Currumburra Road) at the Ashmore Road intersection, Benowa/Ashmore.
- Improved safety for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians
- Improved traffic flows and reduced travel times
The project cost is estimated at $30 million and is part of the State Government's $160.7m funding commitment for major road network improvements on the Gold Coast.
- South Coast Region
To increase the existing and future capacity of the state-controlled road network on the Gold Coast the department is converting the existing roundabout at Ross Street and Ashmore Road to a signalised intersection.
A construction contract was awarded to McIlwain Civil Engineering Pty Ltd (MCE) on 23 October 2015. Full construction works are now underway – removing the existing roundabout, configuring traffic lanes, installing traffic signals and traffic islands. Works are ahead of schedule and expected to be completed by July 2016, weather permitting.
Current traffic conditions through the roadwork zone include:
- Currumburra Road northbound reduced to 1 lane between the roundabout and Milparinka Terrace until end April 2016.
- Ashmore Road westbound (towards Ashmore) is reduced to 1 lane between the roundabout and the new Coles Shopping Centre until mid-May 2016.
- The road shoulder/parking lane on Ashmore Road eastbound (towards Benowa) has been permanently removed between Yelta Place and Currumburra Road.
- Ross Street southbound is reduced to 1 lane between the Ashmore Road roundabout and the RACV Royal Pines Resort entrance until mid-2016.
Refer to Latest news section for additional information.
Motorists are being urged to seek alternative routes during these works, as congestion is expected to increase, particularly during the morning and afternoon peak periods.
For up-to-date information on road closures and traffic conditions across Queensland, please visit www.131940.qld.gov.au or call 13 19 40.
The project team will make every effort to minimise disruption and to keep residents, businesses and motorists informed about the project.
To register for the free SMS and email traffic alert services please contact the project team.
The list of frequently asked questions provides further information.
Important wet weather update
Due to the expected weather event on the Gold Coast this weekend switching on the new signals at the Ross Street and Ashmore Road intersection has been postponed.
The project team are now working towards switching over to the new signalised intersection on the evening of Tuesday 7 June 2016, weather permitting.
Additional lanes will be opened once the final asphalt layer and line marking are completed through the intersection. To complete these works, detours are scheduled in June 2016.
Detours at the roundabout during night works (8pm to 6am) for 2-3 nights between Wednesday 8 June and Wednesday 15 June 2016:
- Ashmore Road: closed between Warrungen Way and Willamulka Avenue
- Currumburra Road northbound: closed between the intersection and Milparinka Terrace
- Currumburra Road southbound: closed between Mulyan Place and the intersection
- Ross Street: open to left-in and left-out movements only.