Morayfield Road is a major arterial road that connects the Bruce Highway at Uhlmann Road with Caboolture via the commercial centre of Morayfield. Rapid development in the areas of Burpengary and Caboolture has resulted in Morayfield Road now carrying up to 44,000 vehicles each day.
In late 2010, the Department of Transport and Main Roads completed design work for an upgrade of Morayfield Road between the Bruce Highway and Gaffield Street.
The upgrade will be completed in 2 stages:
- Stage 1 – Gympie Creek to Gaffield Street
- Stage 2 – Bruce Highway to Gympie Creek.
Stage 1 (Gympie Creek to Gaffield Street)
Stage 1 work will involve:
- duplicating the existing 2 lane section between Gympie Creek and Gaffield Street to 4 lanes, with provision for 6 lanes in the future
- upgrades to the Graham Road and Lindsay Road intersections
- constructing a new bridge over the North Coast railway line
- providing wider shoulders (2.5m) to allow for on-road cyclists and access to residences and businesses.
Early works began in mid-2011 and were completed in early 2012. These work involved relocating water, sewerage, power and telecommunication services to prepare for earthworks associated with the four-lane upgrade.
The department appointed consulting firm GHD to administer the delivery of the early works and the overall construction program.
In December 2011, the department appointed Fulton Hogan Construction Pty Ltd to undertake the earthworks for Stage 1.
In early February 2012, Fulton Hogan Construction Pty Ltd began activities to set up their temporary site office on Lindsay Road.
Residents and motorists will see more substantial activity onsite as the contractor begins earthworks for the upgrade.
The majority of work will be undertaken between 6am and 6pm, Monday to Saturday. Some night and weekend works will be required for construction activities, including vegetation clearing, installation of safety barriers and traffic management devices, pavement works at the Graham and Lindsay roads intersection and construction of the new bridge over the North Coast railway line.
Works to clear vegetation, long grass and weeds along Morayfield Road between Graham Road and Lindsay Road began in late February 2012.
These works took place to clear the way for construction of a sidetrack between Graham Road and Lindsay Road.
During construction works there will be changes to the road network, property accesses and traffic conditions. Motorists may experience minor delays during this time. Lane closures, traffic controllers, reduced speed limits and signage will be in place to safeguard motorists and roadworkers.
Although every effort will be made to reduce impacts, nearby residents and businesses may experience minor construction noise and lighting while work is taking place in the vicinity of their property. The department will endeavour to progress the work as quickly as possible and minimise any inconvenience to residents.
The department understands roadworks can be frustrating and thanks nearby residents and road users for their patience during this important upgrade.
Stage 1 map
Stage 2 (Bruce Highway to Gympie Creek)
Construction of Stage 2 will be dependent on available funding.
Stage 2 map
Benefits of the upgrade
- reducing congestion, traffic delays and travel times
- significant safety improvements for all road users
- improving pedestrian traffic signals at the Lindsay Road and Graham Road intersections
- providing pedestrian activated crossings at the new Paradise Road and Gleeson Road traffic signals
- providing future construction of off-road cycle and pedestrian facilities
- providing for future public transport facilities
- wider road shoulders of approximately 2.5m will be constructed to enable residents and businesses to safely access their properties
- wider road shoulders to provide for on-road cyclists
- safer access to residences on the southern side of the road between Gleeson Road and Paradise Road via a new local service road
- coordinating traffic signals to reduce through-traffic delays
- minimal impact on the state reserve as the majority of work will be undertaken within the road reserve
- improving drainage in the area by constructing new roadside drains to direct road run-off into defined waterways.
Stage 1 (Gympie Creek to Gaffield Street)
The Morayfield Road upgrade project is progressing well and is on track for completion in late 2013. The following works will be taking place this month.
Graham Road intersection closure
Graham Road will be temporarily closed at the intersection with Morayfield Road from Saturday morning 27 October 2012 until Monday morning 5 November 2012, weather permitting.
Works will involve building up the intersection level in line with the new 2 lanes east of Morayfield Road, relocating the traffic signals to cater for the new 4 lane configuration, and laying new pavement across the intersection.
Detours will be in place during the intersection closure. Motorists will be detoured via Station Road, Buchanan Road and Glenwood Drive to access the local road network. Detour signage, traffic controllers, and reduced speed limits will be in place to safeguard motorists and roadworkers during the closure.
Graham Road closure
Night works will take place at the Lindsay Road intersection between Monday 15 October and the Friday 26 October 2012.
Works will involve building up the intersection level in line with the new bridge just south of the intersection, relocating the traffic signals to cater for the future 4 lane configuration, and laying new pavement across the intersection.
While works are occurring, traffic on Morayfield Road will be reduced to 1 lane through the intersection. Variable message signs, traffic controllers and reduced speed limits will be in placed to safeguard motorists and roadworkers.
As part of these works, temporary night closures are required at the Lindsay Road and Morayfield Road intersection for 3 nights commencing Wednesday 24 October 2012, weather permitting.
To minimise disruptions to motorists and residents, night closures will be in place at the following times:
- Wednesday 24 October, 9pm to 5am
- Thursday 25 October, 9.30pm to 5am
- Friday 26 October, 9pm to 5am.
During this time, motorists will be detoured via Oakey Flat Road, Walkers Road and Gleeson Road to access the local road network.
Night works will also be taking place along Morayfield Road between Graham Road and the Lindsay Road intersections from the 15 October 2012 to 4 November 2012 as part of the upgrade works.
Construction of the new bridge across the North Coast rail line is progressing well. Traffic is currently scheduled to be transferred across the new bridge on 26 October 2012 and demolition of the original bridge will commence on 3 November 2012, weather permitting.
For further information about the project, contact the project team on 1800 502 307, or to subscribe to receive regular updates about the project, please email email@example.com with your contact details (name, suburb/address, phone number) to register your interest.
Up-to-date information on road conditions and traffic reports is available on the Traffic and Travel Information website or by calling 13 19 40.