Pacific Motorway (M1) upgrade planning: Nerang to Tugun
The department is developing a master plan for the upgrade of the Pacific Motorway between Nerang and Tugun based on traffic forecasts until 2026. This will involve widening the motorway to 6 or 8 lanes and upgrading interchanges.
Pacific Motorway, Gold Coast between Nerang and Tugun.
The Planning Study has been completed in 2 sections. Delivery of projects identified in the first section, Nerang to Varsity Lakes began in 2008. Planning for the second section, Varsity Lakes to Tugun, is ongoing.
To improve safety and traffic flow, to reduce congestion and travel times and minimise environmental and social costs in the future.
Department of Transport and Main Roads.
In 2007, the state and federal governments committed $910 million towards the cost of upgrading sections of the Pacific Motorway between the Gateway and Tugun, starting with those identified as being under the most pressure.
Of that total, $420 million was allocated to progressively upgrade interchanges between Nerang and Varsity Lakes, widen sections of the motorway and make improvements near the Coomera interchange.
- South Coast Region
Section 1: Nerang to Varsity Lakes
The master plan for this section is complete and in 2008 work started on the first series of staged projects to upgrade interchanges and widen a section of the motorway.
Map of current Section 1 projects
- Nerang South Interchange (Exit 73) was the first upgrade in this series. It started in February 2008 and was completed in August 2009.
- Mudgeeraba Interchange (Exit 79) upgrade started in February 2009 and was completed in late 2010.
- Varsity Lakes Interchange (Exit 85) upgrade works began in July 2009 and was completed in early 2011.
- Coomera Interchange (Exit 54) improvement works near the northbound off-ramp started in August 2009 and were completed in September 2010.
- Widening of the motorway to 6 lanes, between Nerang and Worongary began in early 2010 and was completed in May 2012.
Section 2: Varsity Lakes to Stewart Road at Tugun
The master Concept Plan is nearly completed. The department, ENERGEX and Queensland Rail (QR) are working together to ensure a whole-of-government outcome.
The projects along the corridor include the:
- Pacific Motorway Upgrade Planning Study
- Varsity Lakes to Tugun Rail Extension Planning Study
- ENERGEX Mudgeeraba to Tugun network upgrade.
- widening the motorway to at least 6 lanes to improve safety and reduce congestion
- major upgrades to improve interchanges and access to and from the M1
- providing a 4-lane service road along the western side of the M1 from Guineas Creek Road to north of Tallebudgera interchange
Regular updates about the project are distributed to residents and stakeholders and are available for download below