Peninsula Developmental Road: reconstruction works
The department is reconstructing various sections of the Peninsula Developmental Road between Laura and Weipa.
Resheeting works are continuing at:
- a 10km section between Rocky Creek and North Kennedy
- a 7.5km section between Kalinga Station and Healy Creek.
Work will start on a 7km section between Coen Airport and Bourne creek in early October.
All works are expected to be completed by the end of 2013, weather permitting.
Work has been completed at the following locations:
- Port Stewart turnoff and Coen.
- Aurukun turnoff to Batavia turnoff.
The works aim to improve safety, access and travelling conditions for local communities and tourists who use this route to travel to the Cape York Peninsula region.
- RoadTek Asset Services Cairns is delivering the work on behalf of the department.
The reconstruction work is being delivered under the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA), a joint federal and state initiative. Under these arrangements, the Australian Government provides 75% of the funding, with 25% from the Queensland Government.
The works are valued at more than $8 million.
- Far North Region
For up-to-date information on traffic disruptions, please phone 13 19 40 or visit www.131940.qld.gov.au
* Free call from anywhere in Australia, call charges apply for calls from mobile phones and payphones
Motorists are urged to obey changed traffic conditions. Single lane closures, reduced speed limits and traffic controllers apply through work sites for the safety of road users and roadworkers.