During the 2010/2011 summer flooding and cyclone events almost half the Mackay/Whitsunday 2600km state-controlled road network was damaged.
Reconstruction works will be progressively delivered across the region as packages of work and will include a range of works including stabilisation, shoulder widening, pavement replacement and bitumen resurfacing.
- June 2011: Construction works started on the North Package
- April 2012: Construction works started on the West Package
- April 2012: Construction works started on the Peak Downs Highway Package
- June 2012: Construction works started on the Bruce Highway Package
- October 2012: Completion of the North Package
For further information about reconstruction works in your area, please click on the links below:
||1300 736 754* (During business hours)|
||+61 7 4951 8555|
Department of Transport and Main Roads
PO Box 62
Mackay Qld 4740
* Cost of a local call. Higher call charges apply from mobile phones or payphones.
There will be traffic disruptions across the network. The department will use traffic signals, traffic controllers, single lane closures and speed restrictions as required.
The safety of road users and road workers is the number one priority when delivering these works.
Your patience and cooperation is appreciated while these important works are underway.
Please slow down – roadwork safety is your responsibility too.