Pensioner and senior registration concessions
The Department of Transport and Main Roads is making travel easier for Queenslanders by offering pensioners, impaired service persons and seniors concessions on their motor vehicle registration fees.
If you hold one of the following cards or you are an impaired service person, you may be eligible for a reduction of your vehicles registration fee:
- a Queensland seniors card
- a Queensland pension concession card issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veteran Affairs
- you are an impaired service person, that is, you are a serving or former member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and you are:
- receiving a disability pension and have been assessed as at least 70% incapacitated
- you have received or are receiving a permanent impairment payment and you have been assessed as a person having at least 50 impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA).
You will need to complete the Registration Concession Application form (F3937) and present it with one of the cards mentioned above or if you are an impaired service person you will need to provide a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs verifying your rate of incapacitation or impairment.
Note: A registration concession does not apply to holders of 'seniors business discount' cards issued by the Queensland Department of Communities to persons aged under 65.
Additional concession conditions
In addition to completing the Registration Concession Application form (F3937) and providing your Queensland issued card or letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs, the following conditions apply:
- you must be a Queensland resident
- you must be the registered operator of a motorbike, motor vehicle (up to 4.5 tonne), motorised caravan or a recreational ship
- the pension concession card or seniors card must be in the same name as the registered operator of the vehicle or recreational ship
- the vehicle or recreational ship must be for private use
- you can only receive one concession for a vehicle and one for a recreational ship at any one time.
Purchasing a Vehicle or Recreational Ship
If you have previously been granted concessional registration and you purchase a new or second hand vehicle or recreational ship, you will need to complete the Registration Concession Application form (F3937) to apply concessional registration to your new vehicle. This will ensure that the reduced rate of registration fee will apply from your next renewal. Pension concession card holders will need to re-establish their eligibility by providing their most current concession card. Senior card holders and impaired service persons are exempt from re-establishing their eligibility. However, they will need to complete the Registration Concession Application form (F3937) to apply for the reduced rate of registration to be granted to their new vehicle.