Skip links and keyboard navigation

Transferring registration

If you are looking to purchase a second-hand vehicle, motorcycle, caravan or trailer it is advisable to do some homework before finalising the sale. The Personal Property Securities (PPS) Register can be used to conduct a vehicle search and offers those planning to buy a second-hand vehicle a quick, easy and inexpensive way to obtain important information before purchase.

Note: the following transfer process applies to Queensland registered vehicles only. Visit Interstate vehicle transfers for more information on transferring registration from another state or territory.

To transfer a vehicle registration to your name you must provide the following:

  • A completed Transfer of Vehicle Registration Application form (F3520)  - available from any customer service centre or, if you live in a rural area, a Queensland Government Agency Program office or your local police station.
  • A current registration certificate.
  • An original copy of a current Queensland safety certificate (unless exempt).
  • A gas certificate that is less than 3 months old - if your vehicle runs on gas or is fitted with gas fittings or systems, you must provide a gas certificate from an authorised gas installer. If you are unable to obtain a gas certificate because there is no person who is authorised to issue gas inspection certificates within a reasonable distance of your residence, you must provide a gas exemption certificate issued by the Department of Natural Resources and Mines. Exemptions will not be issued for caravans or motorhomes.
  • Evidence of the vehicle's garage address (must be a Queensland address) if it is different to your residential/business address - current Queensland driver licence, property rates notice, gas, phone or electricity bill are acceptable.
  • Evidence of identification:
    • Individual - refer to the Evidence of Identity Information Sheet (F4362) for more information.
    • Organisation - organisation identification is required if you are registering a vehicle in an organisation's name – for example, certificate of incorporation (issued by the Office of Fair Trading), business registration (issued by the Office of Fair Trading), certificate of registration of a company (issued by ASIC – Australian Securities and Investments Commission) and so on. To register a vehicle in a business name, the proprietor of the business must also bring their Queensland driver licence as identification. If the proprietor is an organisation, evidence of identity of the organisation is required.
    • Organisation representative - must also bring proof that they are acting on behalf of the organisation. Evidence of Representation includes one of the following – a person is in their organisation's uniform, a business card or business identification, the person is a regular representative for the organisation at the customer service centre, documentation from the organisation on official letterhead, as well as the representative's personal identification, such as their Queensland driver licence.
  • Fees payable
    • transfer fee 
    • pro-rata registration fees, if the person selling the vehicle was entitled to concessional registration you will have to pay the difference in the vehicle fee for the remaining period of registration if you are not entitled to concessional registration
    • registration fee (if applicable)
    • vehicle registration duty (if applicable). Note: there is a formula for calculating vehicle registration duty (previously called 'stamp duty'). For more information visit the Office of State Revenue website.

If you require the vehicle, motorcycle, caravan or trailer to have joint registration, each person must sign the form and provide evidence of identification at the time of transfer. Special conditions apply for transfers that involve personalised plates, recreational vehicles, deceased estates, concessions, taxis and private hire vehicles. For more information call the department on 13 23 80.

Vehicles involved with the National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme (NHVAS)

Further information is available on transferring vehicles involved with the NHVAS.

Information in this section:

Last updated
30 January 2014