Skip links and keyboard navigation

Interstate vehicle transfers

Transferring registration from another state or territory

If you move to Queensland, your vehicle must be registered in Queensland within 14 days of your move and establishment of your new garage address. If you don't re-register your vehicle in Queensland, you may be fined.

Information about registering an interstate vehicle in Queensland can be found at registering motor vehicles and motorbikes.

When you re-register in Queensland, you can apply for a refund of the unexpired portion of your interstate registration by destroying your windscreen label and handing in your interstate registration number plate(s) to a Department of Transport and Main Roads customer service centre. You will be issued a receipt. If the interstate plates are not surrendered to the department, you will be required to surrender the plates to the interstate authority.

Note: the registered operator of an interstate vehicle is responsible for contacting the relevant interstate authority for any refund and cancellation requirements as the requirements may vary from state to state. A copy of the receipt for the plate(s) will be required.

Transferring a Queensland registered vehicle to another state or territory

If you are moving to another state or territory and wish to take your Queensland registered vehicle with you to your new address, you will need to re-register your vehicle in that state or territory. Please contact the relevant transport authority to find out their registration requirements.

Once you have re-registered your vehicle in the new state or territory, you can apply for a refund of the unexpired portion of Queensland registration plus the compulsory third party (CTP) insurance component.

Note: a refund will only be issued to the registered operator of the Queensland registered vehicle (this is the person whose name appears on the certificate of registration). If you’re not the registered operator of a vehicle you are not entitled to a refund.

Applying for a refund

  1. Once you've registered your vehicle at your new address, destroy the Queensland registration label, surrender the plate(s) to the local transport authority and get a plate surrender receipt.
  2. Complete a Vehicle/Recreational Ship Cancellation of Registration Application form (F3517) and mail this form with a copy of the plate receipt to:
    Department of Transport and Main Roads
    Rockhampton Customer Service Centre
    PO Box 5096
    Central Queensland MC Qld 4701.
    Make sure you provide your mailing address and that you've checked the cancellation checklist before mailing your request.

If you live interstate and purchase a Queensland registered vehicle

To register a vehicle in Queensland, the vehicle must be garaged at a Queensland address. So if you live interstate and purchase a Queensland registered vehicle you cannot register it in Queensland in your name if the garaging address isn't in Queensland.

Because you can’t transfer the Queensland registration into your name, you may consider arranging for the seller to attend a customer service centre with you to cancel the vehicle’s registration. You will then be able to apply for an unregistered vehicle permit so you can return home with the vehicle.

For more information regarding cancellation of registration and the requirements and costs to obtain an unregistered vehicle permit, please refer to:

Last updated
08 January 2014