Benefits of Smarter Motorways
Everyone will benefit from the integrated intelligent transport system technologies: motorway drivers, businesses and transport industry; local communities and the environment.
Motorway drivers will benefit from a safer, greener, reliable journey. The improvements will:
- keep traffic flowing and manage congestion (smoother journey)
- provide a more reliable and less stressful journey (smarter journey)
- reduce the risk of road accidents (safer journey)
- reduce emissions and vehicle wear-and-tear through less stop-start (greener journey).
The following benefits will apply to emergency services:
- quicker access to accident sites by using lane control
- reduced speed limits provide safer conditions at traffic accident sites, particularly for those helping at the scene
- more flowing traffic and less stop-start driving help reduce rear-end crashes or secondary accidents.
Public communities will also benefit from:
- increased motorway safety
- more reliable travel times and effective peak hour traffic on existing motorways
- reduced peak hour traffic times are reduced
- optimised performance on existing motorways.
There are also environmental benefits to the new technologies, including:
- less stop-start driving reduces fuel consumption which reduces emissions.
For more information on environmentally-supportive transport initiatives, visit the Office of Climate Change website.