Mackay Ring Road
As part of the 2014 federal budget, the Coalition has allocated funding of $6.7 billion to improve the Bruce Highway. The construction of the Mackay Ring Road was identified as a priority project to be delivered under this funding allocation.
Improvements to Stage 1 of the Mackay Ring Road
Improvements to the concept for Stage 1 of the Ring Road have been made based on constructive feedback received during the public consultation period in May 2013.
At this stage, the updated plans are an indicative view of the proposed Ring Road. The detailed design phase of the project will further refine these concepts and establish precise land requirements.
Enhancements made for Stage 1 of the project include:
- improvements to access arrangements for private properties
- provision of an underpass at Stotts Road for local traffic and farming activities
- provision of an underpass south of Gibsons Road for local traffic and farming activities
- a modified on-ramp from the Peak Downs Highway to the proposed Ring Road near Te Kowai Foulden Road
- extension of a southbound overtaking lane (from Lagoon Creek to south of Peak Downs Highway overpass)
- relocation of vehicle inspection bays near Te Kowai Foulden road
- minor amendments to curves approaching the Bruce Highway north intersection
- provision for a connection to Bald Hill Road in Stage 2.
Visit our latest plans page for updated plans showing the current proposed layout of the Ring Road in your area.
What’s next for the Ring Road?
Transport and Main Road has commenced ground survey and soil testing works, which include visual inspections, excavation works, drilling works and bridge site investigations. These works are expected to take 12 months to complete.
The detailed design phase will commence later this year and is expected to take 18 months to complete.
Visit our project progress and timeline page to know more about the progress of the project to date.
Why does Mackay need a ring road?
Mackay is 1 of Queensland’s fastest growing regions, with rapid population and economic development contributing to significant congestion and safety issues.
Mackay has historically experienced a population growth of approximately 3000 people every year. Strong growth is expected to continue over the next 2 decades.
By 2031, it is anticipated the:
- population of Mackay area will increase by over 50,000 people, resulting in a forecasted population of over 180,000 people
- volume of traffic on Nebo Road will exceed capacity, compromising safety
- daily cross river traffic will increase by 70% and the city’s existing bridges will exceed capacity during peak periods
- imports at Mackay Port will have doubled
- number of fuel trucks on the road will have doubled to service expansion of the Bowen Basin
- current route from the Port to the Bruce Highway will be heavily congested
- existing Paget Industrial Area will have reached capacity and further residential expansion in north Mackay may need to be explored.
As Mackay grows, Transport and Main Roads recognises the need for a Ring Road to better prepare the region for future growth.
What’s in it for Mackay?
The Ring Road will cater for the differing needs of heavy freight vehicles and private vehicle traffic. It will reduce the frequency of hazardous loads travelling through the city centre, and significantly improve the operation of local, regional and national road networks.
Key benefits from Stage 1 of the project will include:
- reduced congestion on the network as traffic is transferred to the Ring Road
- reduced traffic demands on Nebo Road, with a 2-lane rural highway deviation approximately 11.6km in length
- reduced travel times by avoiding 10 signalised intersections from Stockroute Road to Bald Hill
- improved safety by removing fuel and sugar trucks from travelling through built up areas
- improved connectivity for industry to the Port.
Want to know more or provide feedback?
To learn more about the project, or to provide your feedback, please contact the project team.
||07 4951 8555 (8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday)|
|Contact centre services:
||13 19 40 for the latest information on road works and closures. |
13QGOV (8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday)
||Mackay Ring Road project|
PO Box 62
Mackay Qld 4740