Skip links and keyboard navigation

Access permit applications

Important changes to access permit application process

As of 5:00pm Friday, 22 December 2017 the Department of Transport and Main Roads will no longer be accepting payment details via fax.

Acceptable payment methods include:

  • Pay Online: You can pay your account online via the Pay Invoice service using either a MasterCard or Visa credit card. Please note credit card transactions will incur a 0.52% credit card surcharge.
  • Pay by BPAY: You can make a BPAY payment via your financial institution online or by phone using your cheque and savings account.
  • Pay by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT): For Electronic payments please email for more information.
  • Pay by Cheque: Cheques are to be made and forwarded to:
    Post Office Box 70,
    Spring Hill 4004.

Please note: Fax number 3066 5531 will no longer be available from 5:00pm Friday 22 December 2017.

For cross-border applications and cross-border OSOM/SPV applications, apply to the NHVR.

Get more information on applications to the department, including how to apply for a permit, by reading through the frequently asked questions or from the NHVR's website.

Current heavy vehicle permits issued by the department will remain valid until the permit's expiry date, or for 3 years (whichever comes first), unless the permit is otherwise amended by the NHVR.

Vehicles operating under guidelines issued by the department now operate under a series of notices issued by the NHVR.

Oversize, Overmass and Special Purpose Vehicles

Applications for Class 1 Oversize, Overmass and Special Purpose Vehicles with routes entirely within Queensland should be made to the department by the following process:

  1. Complete the new permit application form.
  2. Collect and collate supporting documentation and evidence of local government consent if available.
  3. Email completed application form with supporting documents to
  4. Once your application has been received, your permit application number will be emailed to you.
  5. Make applications to other applicable third party infrastructure owners (rail, energy, telecommunications and ports).

For trips that require police escorts you will also need to:

  1. Complete a Queensland Police Service application for special services form—make sure the permit application number is recorded in the top right-hand corner.
  2. Email the application form to For police escorts phone 1300 105 647.

All other access permit applications should be submitted to the NHVR using forms available on the NHVR website.

Application forms

Last updated
16 May 2019