Captain Cook Highway—Smithfield Bypass Project
We are delivering the Smithfield Bypass which provides vital infrastructure for the northern beaches of Cairns and meets the strategic transport needs of the area into the future. The new road will deliver a safer, more efficient travel route for motorists and industry along this section of the Captain Cook Highway.
- Improves safety
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Reduces travel time
- Contributes to regional growth
- Better active transport
- Upgrade of the existing roundabout at the intersection of the Cairns Western Arterial Road and Captain Cook Highway (Caravonica roundabout) to a signalised intersection allowing for extra lanes to increase capacity.
- Four lanes on the approaches and departures at the southern connection.
- A new bridge will be built at Avondale Creek and the two-lane bypass will continue north to McGregor Road.
- Two lanes through to the northern connection to the Captain Cook Highway at McGregor Road.
- Entry and exit ramps will be built at the northern end.
- A new bridge over McGregor Road roundabout.
- Merge and diverge lanes will provide motorists access to and from the new Bypass just north of McGregor Road roundabout.
*Note: certain aspects of the scope included in the Preliminary Design layout may change as the project undertakes the detailed design as part of the design and construct contract.
Additional works and funding
Additional funding and works include the extension of the dual carriageway from the southern connection of the bypass along the Cairns Western Arterial Road and investigate the installation of new traffic signals at the intersection of Skyrail Drive.
The project is solely funded by the Queensland Government.
- Total investment
- $164 million
- Queensland Government
- $164 million
Narrated Flyover Video
To ease congestion on the Captain Cook Highway through Smithfield, we're building a new 3.8km bypass.
Take a look at the Smithfield Bypass stretching from McGregor Road roundabout to Cairns Western Arterial Road.
A new bridge will be built over McGregor Road roundabout.
Merge and diverge lanes will provide motorists access to and from the Captain Cook Highway just north of the McGregor Road roundabout.
Entry and Exit ramps built at the northern end.
A large part of through traffic on the Captain Cook Highway will bypass the Smithfield local road network.
The end result of this project is equivalent to six-laning this section of the Captain Cook Highway.
A new bridge will be built at Avondale Creek with the new two-lane bypass road continuing to the southern connection at Cairns Western
Arterial Road and the Captain Cook Highway.
More lanes to enter and exit the southern end of the bypass
A new signalised intersection will be built at the intersection of Captain Cook Highway and Cairns Western Arterial Road allowing for extra lanes to increase capacity.
An overpass of this location is not possible as it will increase flood risk.
The Smithfield Bypass Project is expected to be completed late 2021, to get you where you need to be safely and on time.
Traffic Modelling Simulation
Bridge Piling Time-lapse
We are currently undertaking major works with construction underway to upgrade the Caravonica roundabout located at the intersection of Cairns Western Arterial Road and Captain Cook Highway to a signalised intersection.
We have completed bridge piling works for a new bridge at the McGregor Road roundabout. We have also installed bridge decking units at Avondale Creek.
- April 2017 – Building Queensland business case approved
- July 2017 – Project funding announced
- July 2018- Contract awarded to Highway Albem Joint Venture
- December 2018 – Early construction work commenced
- November 2019 – Preliminary design released
- April 2020 – Major works commence at Cairns Western Arterial Road intersection (five stages)
- June 2020 – Stage two works commence at Cairns Western Arterial Road intersection
- Late 2021 – Construction completion, weather permitting
Preliminary Design Map
Smithfield Bypass Alignment Map