Accelerated funding has been allocated through the following Road Stimulus Packages to increase investment in roads and transport infrastructure as part of The Queensland Economic Recovery Strategy.
Bruce Highway (Benaraby - Rockhampton), Jellicoe Street to Prospect Street, improve cycle facilities
These bike and pedestrian infrastructure upgrades will improve safety for all road users. This project will deliver a combined 2.6km of new bike lanes and shared paths.
The project will provide on-road bike lanes and shared paths along the Bruce Highway (Gladstone Road) between Jellicoe Street and Prospect Street, delivering improved bike riding and pedestrian infrastructure in Rockhampton.
- Improves safety
- Improves network efficiency
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Better active transport
- Improve safety for all road users by reducing possible conflicts with bike riders, pedestrians and drivers.
- Pedestrian safety.
- Freight efficiency and heavy vehicle management via reduction of on-road bike traffic.
- Environmental improvements.
- Improved bike rider safety and facilities.
- Boost to local economy.
The $6.16 million project is jointly funded by the Australian Government and Queensland Government. The project is funded under the Road Safety Program Tranche 1 which is part of the Targeted Road Safety Program.
- Total investment
- $6.16 million
- Australian Government
- $4.93 million
- Queensland Government
- $1.23 million
Construction started June 2021 and is expected to be completed September 2021.