Bruce Highway—(Townsville-Ingham) Hechts Road to Easter Creek Safety Upgrade Project
We upgraded the Bruce Highway at Bambaroo between Hechts Road and Easter Creek. Works included pavement widening, intersection upgrades, construction of a new service road and construction of new overtaking lanes.
We improved safety on the Bruce Highway between Townsville and Ingham by widening roads, upgrading intersections and building overtaking lanes.
BMD Constructions was awarded the contract for the Hechts Road to Easter Creek works in June 2020. Construction commenced in August 2020 and was completed in late 2021.
- Improves safety
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Better road access
- 7.3km of pavement widening between Hechts Road and Easter Creek.
- Upgrades at four intersections to improve safety and visibility:
- Catastis Road
- Scrubview Road
- Jourama Falls Road
- Yuruga Road.
- New north and southbound overtaking lanes between Little Gin Creek and Waterview Creek.
- Wide centre line treatments to increase distance between oncoming traffic and reduce the risk of head-on collisions.
- New service road parallel to the Bruce Highway to provide safe access to properties.
$30.67 million funding is committed by both the Australian and Queensland Governments. Investment IDs 9521, 9756, 685752 and 685714.
- Total investment
- $30.67 million
- Australian Government
- $27.28 million
- Queensland Government
- $3.39 million
The Hechts Road to Easter Creek Road Safety Upgrades project is one of many projects under construction on the Bruce Highway between Home Hill and the Cardwell Range. Visit our Bruce Highway roadworks and traffic impacts page for more information on these projects, and potential impacts to travel.