Cairns Western Arterial Road, Harley Street, upgrade intersection
The Cairns Western Arterial Road has been upgraded between Kamerunga Road and Hythe Street, including the Harley Street intersection at Kamerunga.
The Cairns Western Arterial Road is among Cairns' most important strategic transport corridors, linking some of the city’s most heavily populated residential areas. The 1.35km project has brought important benefits to commuters, public transport users, bike and pedestrians.
The result of the project is:
- 2 lanes in each direction on the Cairns Western Arterial Road from Kamerunga Road to the Harley Street intersection
- an upgraded Kamerunga Road intersection with dedicated turn lanes. The right-turn facility out of Kamerunga Road has been removed
- upgraded Harley Street intersection, with expanded capacity for turn lanes on the Cairns Western Arterial Road and new U-turn facilities
- upgraded Hythe Street with a dedicated bike lane, shoulder and turning lane. The right-turn facility has been removed making it left-in, left-out only with a raised median along the Cairns Western Arterial Road separating north and southbound traffic
- better pedestrian access to bus stops on either side of the Cairns Western Arterial Road with signalised crossing facilities at the upgraded Harley Street intersection to improve safety
- a new concrete pathway on Cowley Street to extend the existing concrete pathway improving access for school children and residents using the bus stop on the eastern side of the Cairns Western Arterial Road
- a relocated bus stop from the north western side of the Harley Street intersection to the south western side. A new path links the existing path to this new bus stop
- new concrete paths between Hythe Street and Harley Street and the bus stop, to ensure safe access.
- Improves safety
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Reduces travel time
- Better active transport
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Improved safety for motorists and traffic flow through the intersection, particularly during peak travel periods.
- Improved access and safety for pedestrians and cyclists better bus priority facilities.
The Queensland Government committed $16.3 million to deliver this project. Investment ID 932658
- Total investment
- $16.3 million
- Queensland Government
- $16.3 million
The project was completed in July 2021.
Cairns Western Arterial Road Harley Street Flyover
The Cairns Western Arterial Road Harley Street Intersection Upgrade will provide:
- long-term improvements to traffic flow and safety during peak periods
- upgrade to a 4 lane corridor between Kamerunga Road and Harley Street
- improve pedestrian safety
- improved access to public transport.
It will improve safety for all road users by creating:
- enhanced traffic flow
- clearer cycleway lanes
- smart pedestrian crossings
- a new student walkway providing access to the Peace Lutheran College.