Flinders Highway (Glenn Road) acceleration lane project
The Flinders Highway intersection with Glenn Road (opposite Woodstock Giru Road) has been upgraded to extend an acceleration lane and better facilitate traffic movements.
The extended acceleration lane will complement existing, dedicated turning lanes at the intersection, allowing Townsville-bound vehicles from Glenn Road to get up to speed before entering the 110km/h Flinders Highway traffic; greatly improving safety for motorists.
The intersection upgrade also accommodates increased traffic demand generated by the first stages of Drive It NQ's driver education and training facility, as well as future traffic demand from within the Lansdown Industrial Precinct.
- Improves safety
- Improves network efficiency
- Better active transport
- Contributes to regional growth
As part of the project:
- the throat of the Flinders Highway and Glenn Road intersection will be reconfigured to cater for heavy vehicle turning paths
- the Flinders Highway pavement will be widened and culverts replaced or extended to accommodate an extension of the northbound (left turn onto Flinders Highway) acceleration lane for vehicles entering traffic from Glenn Road, Woodstock
- line marking, signage and road lighting will be reconfigured to accommodate the new intersection geometry
- safe bike movements will be facilitated through the intersection, given the Flinders Highway is a nominated bicycle training route.
The Queensland Government has committed $5 million towards planning and construction of the intersection upgrade.
- Total investment
- $5 million
- Queensland Government
- $5 million
The project's Customer and Stakeholder Management Team is committed to listening to stakeholders and values all community feedback received during project planning.