Accelerated funding has been allocated through the following Road Stimulus Packages to increase investment in roads and transport infrastructure as part of The Queensland Economic Recovery Strategy.
Kennedy Highway (Mareeba - Atherton), targeted road safety improvements
This project will deliver safety upgrades to about 21km of the Kennedy Highway between Mareeba and Atherton.
The Kennedy Highway is a strategic link in Queensland's state-controlled road network connecting mining, agriculture and tourism activities across multiple townships in Far North Queensland.
This project will provide improved safety and network efficiency to reduce fatalities and serious injury crashes on this road.
- Improves safety
- Improves network efficiency
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Install wide centre line treatment to reduce the risk of head-on crashes by separating oncoming traffic lanes.
- Install audio tactile line marking (centre line and edge lines) to reduce the risk of fatigue-related crashes by providing noise when vehicles veer onto audible lines.
- Install shoulder widening and safety barriers to reduce the risk of serious injuries caused by an out-of-control vehicle leaving the road.
The project is jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland governments as part of the $415 million Roads Infrastructure Stimulus Package. Investment ID 1698512
- Total investment
- $37.5 million
- Australian Government
- $30 million
- Queensland Government
- $7.5 million