North Queensland Regional Freight Plan planning project
We are currently developing the North Queensland Regional Freight Plan in response to short-term actions set out in the Far North Queensland, Northern Queensland and North West Queensland Regional Transport Plans and as a key deliverable under the Queensland Freight Action Plan.
The project aims to:
- deliver an integrated multi-modal freight plan that considers current and emerging challenges and needs for the North Queensland Region
- clearly articulate the current and forecast future freight task across various export and domestic supply chains for the North Queensland freight transport network (for all modes)
- identify key barriers and priority improvements (infrastructure and non-infrastructure) for the freight transport network to support safer and more efficient movement of freight across North Queensland with a view to advancing the region’s economic potential
- set out strategic directions and recommendations to influence and inform future actions towards developing the region’s freight transport system consistent with state-wide directions set out in the Queensland Freight Strategy and Queensland Freight Action Plan.
- Improves network efficiency
- Contributes to regional growth
The project is currently in the planning investigation phase. Consultation with government and industry stakeholders is planned to commence in late-2021 with a final Plan released in mid-late 2022.