Ride the benefits of being a bike-friendly business
Bike riders are customers who choose to arrive by bike. And in Queensland, that means a lot of people. There’s a big opportunity for Queensland businesses to achieve growth by becoming bike-friendly.
More than ever, bike riders want to go from A to Business. There’s growing demand to stop, shop and spend at bike-friendly businesses of all different types, from local cafes right through to tourism destinations.
How do we know? They told us. In fact, we asked more than 1,000 bike riders right across Queensland, to better understand what matters to bike riding customers.
Follow the bike path from A to Business to find out the facts and figures for yourself.
General population of Queensland riders
- 51% of bike riders pedal at least once a month.
- 64% of bike riders stop and visit businesses.
- 31% of bike riders go to businesses on most or every trip.
- 63% of bike riders believe bike-friendly features are important.
- 49% of bike riders will go out of the way to visit a bike-friendly business.
- $30 median spend per shopping centre visit.
Members of community bike riding groups
- 92% of bike riders pedal at least once a month.
- 94% of bike riders stop and visit businesses.
- 53% of bike riders go to businesses on most or every trip.
- 86% of bike riders believe bike-friendly features are important.
- 76% of bike riders will go out of the way to visit a bike-friendly business.
- $40 median spend per shopping centre visit.
Top 3 reasons why people choose to go by bike:
Essential features of a bike-friendly business:
- ease of access by bike
- availability of bike parking
- security of bike parking
- positive attitude of staff.
Main sources of information for bike riders:
- word of mouth
- internet search
- social media
- bike groups.
How to become a bike-friendly business
Being bike-friendly can be a point of difference for your business. It means you can offer more customers more choice and freedom.
To find out how to put your business on the path to bike-friendly business success:
- Last updated 10 April 2023