- Looking to learn something different? Travel the winding road throughout our unique museum. Our exhibits offer plenty of information about road planning, construction and design for you to explore. You’ll be surprised what you’ll discover.
- Like to enrich your mind? Let us tickle your memories. Our stories will capture your imagination, with multimedia, photographs, interpretative panels, oral histories and displays of historic materials.
- Want to entertain the kids? Our cartoon characters and interactive children's trail help teach kids about what has gone into making ‘the black stuff'.
- Love machinery? Then you’ll get a kick out of the fully maintained vehicles and road building equipment we have on display.
Take a journey through time with the only road building museum in Australia. We offer a unique perspective of the history of road building in Queensland.
Come discover how Queensland's road network has been developed, from the conditions under which road workers laboured, to the modern plant and equipment you see on roads today.
Listen to those that experienced it:
- The young boy, who worked alongside the men, and often started his day before the rest of the camp.
- A wife’s first impressions of living in the married camps.
Book now and ask for a guided tour through our museum and this unique piece of Queensland’s history.
Download our free app—Wheels, Wings and Water
Available for iPhone and Android, the app offers an exciting virtual tour with audio commentary about the history of transport in the Toowoomba region. Get more information about the app.
Come visit the Heritage Centre
Where: 2–22 Mutze Street, opposite the Toowoomba airport.
When: We are open Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (by appointment). We are open weekends, by appointment, for groups.
To find out more information or to make a booking (family, group or just yourself) contact us on 07 4633 2506—we’d love to hear from you.
How to find us
If you’re travelling west from the Toowoomba city centre, follow the Warrego Highway along James and Tor Streets. Turn left along Taylor Street until you reach Greenwattle Street. Turn right, follow Greenwattle Street to the end and turn left into Mutze Street.
You’ll find us on the left, directly opposite the Toowoomba Airport Terminal and car park.
View a larger version of the google map showing the location of the Heritage Centre.
By phone: 07 4633 2506
By email: email@example.com
Download a Transport and Main Roads Heritage Centre brochure to learn more about the centre.