What are Smart Motorways?
Smart Motorways are a smart infrastructure solution. They use integrated technologies for proactive, real-time management of the road network.
Smart Motorways technologies currently used on Queensland roads include:
- Lane Use Management Signs
- Ramp signalling
- Variable Speed Limit Signs
- Variable Message Signs
- Closed Circuit Television
- Vehicle detectors
- Road weather monitoring stations.
Read more about Smart Motorways technologies.
Benefits of Smart Motorways
Smart Motorways technologies work in a proactive, coordinated way to:
- improve safety
- reduce stop-start travel
- provide more predictable travel times for road users.
These technologies collect information about traffic conditions and send to Traffic Management Centres. The analysis of this real-time traffic data means proactive measures to reduce the impact of traffic congestion to road users can be carried out.
By using smart technologies to proactively manage our motorways, we are making the most of Queensland's existing motorway network and improving safety and reliability.
Queensland's Smart Motorways
Smart Motorways technologies are used on some of our busiest motorways. They are currently in place on the following motorways:
- Ted Smout Bridge/Houghton Highway – Brighton
- Ipswich Motorway – Dinmore to Darra
- Port of Brisbane Motorway – Gateway Motorway to Lytton
- Centenary Motorway – Richlands to Jindalee
- Western Freeway – Toowong
- Sunshine Motorway – Sippy Downs to Mooloolaba
- Bruce Highway (Southbound) – Deception Bay to Pine River
- Pacific Motorway inbound (Loganlea Road to Juliette Street) – Slacks Creek to Greenslopes
- Gateway Motorway – Bald Hills to Drewvale
- Logan Motorway – Parkinson to Berrinba
- Warrego Highway – Dinmore
- Cunningham Highway – Dinmore.
With evolving smart technologies and a growing population, the department is progressively rolling out Smart Motorways technologies on our road network to keep Queenslanders moving.
Smart Motorways were previously known as Managed Motorways.
indicates required fields
Help us improve the content on our website or tell us what is working well. Contact us if you need a response.