Guide to development in a transport environment: Rail
About the guide
The Guide to development in a transport environment: Rail (the guide) provides important information for those involved in the planning, design, or delivery of development in the vicinity of railways in Queensland.
The guide is structured into four parts:
- Part A provides the context for development in a railway environment.
- Part B is relevant to development proposed on land adjacent to a railway. It provides supporting information about the key issues which need to be addressed if proposing development near a railway, including information to assist in preparing development applications consistent with the State Development Assessment Provisions.
- Part C is relevant to development or works proposed within a railway corridor. It outlines the approvals, processes and technical requirements which must be satisfied to comply with legislation governing works in a railway corridor.
- Part D provides supplementary information to support this guide.
The guide takes effect from 6 July 2015. It replaces the Guide for development in a railway environment (2010).
Early consultation with the department is strongly recommended to confirm how the information contained in the guide applies to a proposed development.
For further information on the technical requirements and standard drawings for:
- Queensland Rail - visit Queensland Rail's website at: https://www.queenslandrail.com.au/forbusiness/urban-planning-and-development
- Aurizon - please contact CorridorEnquiries@aurizon.com.au. For further information on accessing the rail corridor, please visit: Accessing the Rail Corridor - Network | Aurizon
- Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) - please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Superseded guide versions
Development applications lodged prior to 6 July 2015, will need to refer to the Guide for development in a railway environment published in 2010.
|Guide version||Date of commencement||Date of replacement|
|Guide for development in a railway environment||October 2010||6 July 2015|
The Director, Development Facilitation
Transport Strategy and Planning Branch
Planning, Policy and Investment Division
Department of Transport and Main Roads
Telephone: (07) 3338 4430
- Last updated 31 March 2023