Vehicles as a workplace
When a vehicle is used for work purposes, either onsite or on the road network, it becomes a workplace. Australian state and territory workplace health and safety (WHS) regulators have collaborated with Austroads to develop the Vehicles as a Workplace (PDF, 1.1MB) national guide (the Guide).
The Guide describes a practical risk management framework for individuals and organisations and includes processes for managing risk in line with relevant legislation and contemporary road safety principles.
Driver Safety Maturity Model
TMR has collaborated with organisations that have prominent work-related driving practices to develop a Driver Safety Maturity Model (DSMM) that supports identification of WHS controls to manage work-related driving.
- provides a high-level overview of different maturity stages that describe an organisation’s journey towards integrating road safety initiatives into work-related driving approaches
- includes a range of controls, typically found in WHS management systems, that are associated with the management of safe driving from a legislative and better practice perspective. These controls can be used to embed safety within work-related driving practices
- provides a guideline for organisations to consider as part of their approach to managing work-related safety risks
- helps to identify a range of educational resources (policies, practices and checklists) that could be established to provide guidance for strengthening workplace health and safety controls implemented in response.
- Last updated 31 October 2022