Manual of uniform traffic control devices (MUTCD)
Transport and Main Roads has adopted Australian Standard AS 1742 Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices as part of national harmonisation. The Queensland Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (Queensland MUTCD) provides only requirements and recommendations specific to Queensland.
The Queensland MUTCD takes precedence over the Australian Standard, except where the Australian Standard is 'accepted'.
Users must refer to the Queensland MUTCD and the Australian Standard, and where referenced within the Queensland MUTCD or the Australian Standard, the Queensland Guide to Road Safety, the Queensland Guide to Temporary Traffic Management, the Queensland Guide to Traffic Management and equivalent Austroads Guides.
For contracts in place prior to 1 December 2021, the version and applicable Parts of the Queensland MUTCD and Queensland Guide to Temporary Traffic Management specified in the tender, and then in the contract documents, apply for the duration of the project.
The legal support for this is detailed in the Transitional Guideline Approved Notice.
Non-commercial users of the Queensland MUTCD can access Australian Standard AS 1742 for free, up to three times each year, via Standards Australia's Reader Room service. The platform is not intended for regular users who need access to Standards as part of their work, but to support the Australian community seeking occasional access for private use.
- Email TrafficEngineering.Support@tmr.qld.gov.au with queries on traffic management technical Standards and Guidelines.
- Email email@example.com with queries on Transport and Main Roads approved training courses and delivery channels.
MUTCD Legal authority
The MUTCD Legal authority is available for viewing.
An amendment register records changes to the harmonised Queensland MUTCD.
Queensland Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD)
- Part 1: General introduction and index of signs
- Part 2: Traffic control devices for general use
- Part 3: Traffic control for works on roads
- Part 4: Speed controls
- Part 5: Street name and community facility name signs
- Part 6: Service and tourist signs
- Part 7: Railway crossings
- Australian Standard AS 1742.8:1990 Freeways has been superseded.
- Part 9: Bicycle facilities
- Part 10: Pedestrian control and protection
- Part 11: Parking controls
- Part 12: Bus, transit and truck lanes
- Part 13: Local area traffic management
- Part 14: Traffic signals
- Part 15: Direction signs, information signs and route numbering
Notifications and feedback
Want to be notified when Queensland MUTCD is updated? You can now subscribe to receive email alerts when we make changes to it. If you have a subscription and no longer wish to receive emails, you can also unsubscribe.
- Last updated 30 August 2023