Traffic and Road Use Management Manual (TRUM)
Want to be notified when TRUM is updated? You can now subscribe to receive email alerts when we make changes to it. If you have a subscription and no longer wish to receive emails, you can also unsubscribe.
The Traffic and Road Use Management (TRUM) manual is issued under the authority of Section 166 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995. The contents of the manual are issued as 'approved notices' under Section 166 (2) of the said Act.
The Department of Transport and Main Roads has agreed to adopt the standards published in Austroads Guides as part of national harmonisation. As a result, the department is actively seeking to avoid duplication of information in the TRUM Manual, the Austroads Guide to Traffic Management, and the Austroads Guide to Road Safety. Supplements to the respective Austroads guides have been developed and are contained in the TRUM manual. This manual will ultimately only include guidance on matters that are specific to Queensland and have precedence over the appropriate Austroads guide.
These include practices which:
- vary from national practice because of local environmental conditions (e.g. soil types, climate)
- vary from national practice because of differing funding practices
- take account of research by the department or other organisations, superseding practices that are published in Austroads guides
- not adequately covered in the Austroads guides
- satisfy local legislative requirements.
The requirements and recommendations of the Queensland Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) take precedence over the Australian Standard (except where the Australian Standard is accepted without changes). Where the TRUM Manual contains information that is different or contrary to that of the MUTCD, please advise Transport and Main Roads by emailing the TrafficEngineering.Support@tmr.qld.gov.au mailbox.
The amendment register outlines changes made to TRUM content.
- Last updated 11 February 2022