Site navigation
Department of Transport and Main Roads

Add or change vehicles on your taxi or limousine licence

You may apply to us to add or change the motor vehicle stated in the licence, if you are:

  • a limousine licence holder
  • a taxi licence holder
  • the ultimate approved lessee of a limousine/taxi licence.

Where to apply

You must apply at a TransLink Regional office or Department of Transport and Main Roads Customer Service Centre. However, not all our centres issue "T" or "L" plates. Please call 13 23 80 to check if the plates are in stock.

If you live in a rural area, you may lodge your application at a:

  • Queensland Government Agency Program (QGAP) office
  • magistrate court
  • local police station.

Call before visiting to confirm they offer these services.

How to apply

You must apply using the relevant form/s:

If this is your first time doing business with Transport and Main Roads, you'll also need to complete a New Customer Application (form F3503).

Preparing to apply

When preparing to add or change the authorised vehicle stated in the licence, you must:

  • call your TransLink Regional Passenger Transport office to confirm the taxi or limousine licence and/or lease is current. If the lease is not current, you will need to complete a Taxi/Limousine Licence Lease Application (form F5185). You'll also need to confirm the proposed vehicle meets the legislative requirements.
  • have a transport and Main Roads customer reference number
  • complete your application form/s in full. Ensure you specify on the form if the licence is leased or subleased
  • confirm the required class of Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. You may need to upgrade your CTP insurance, for example, class 1 to class 10A. Pay the difference to your CTP Insurer and get them to issue a letter confirming the change of class. You must present this letter at our customer service centre
  • prepare to surrender "L" or "T" plates, if required:
    • Do not remove the plates until you arrive at our customer service centre
    • If you're replacing an existing authorised vehicle on a licence, you must surrender the "L" or "T" plates of the previous vehicle unless they're customised
    • If the plates are customised, you may use these plates on the replacement vehicle if it's registered in the same name as the plates.

Checklist for visiting a transport and motoring centre

The nominated vehicle must:

  • be registered in Queensland or about to be registered in Queensland
  • be right hand drive
  • limousines only – be a passenger vehicle with a wheelbase of at least 2800mm or be a passenger vehicle that is at least 30 years of age from its date of manufacture
  • hold a current certificate of inspection, unless exempt
  • hold the correct CTP insurance class – class 3, 26, 10A or 11 – and the correct purpose of use.
    • If you're about to register the vehicle, you'll need to nominate the insurer and purpose of use at a transport and motoring centre
    • If you're updating the vehicle registration, give us your change of class letter from your CTP Insurer
  • be removed from any existing Booked Hire Service Licence before it can be issued with limousine "L" or taxi "T" plates. To do this, you need to complete a Booked Hire Service Licence Surrender Request (form 5289)
  • surrender "L" or "T" plates, if required.

We may refuse your application if you fail to meet any of the above applicant or vehicle requirements.

Contact us

For more information or assistance, call your local Passenger Transport Office.

Last updated 05 September 2023