Site navigation
Department of Transport and Main Roads

Australian Government Road Safety Program

The Australia Government Road Safety Program (AGRSP) provides funding to support the fast roll out of lifesaving road safety treatments on rural and regional roads and greater protection for vulnerable road users like cyclists and pedestrians in urban areas.

The program supports safety improvements on state highways and arterial roads, through the application of safety treatments including:

  • shoulder sealing and the installation of audio-tactile line marking to support the safe return of vehicles from the shoulder into the travel lane
  • physical barriers to prevent run off road crashes
  • median treatments to prevent head-on vehicle collisions.

Projects are identified in partnership with state and territory governments. In tranches 1, 2 and 3 of the AGRSP, the Australian Government has contributed 80% towards projects in regional areas with the Queensland government making up the remaining 20%. In urban areas, the funding of projects is a 50-50 split between the Australian Government and Queensland Government.  

Through the AGRSP, the Queensland Government is required to report on the Indigenous Participation Plan outcomes for each tranche of the program. Queensland results for Tranche 1 is as follows:

Queensland Indigenous participation – Tranche 1

Components Indigenous participation target Equivalent person hours contract value
Employment 2%
12,312 hrs
53,097 hrs
Supplier use 1.4%
$2,872,800 $3,665,173
Last updated 30 October 2023