Queensland Rally Vehicle Registration Scheme
The Queensland Rally Vehicle Registration Scheme (the scheme) was established to provide for the safe movement of rally vehicles that would ordinarily not be eligible for unrestricted road use in Queensland.
Motorsport Australia is currently the sole organisation operating under the scheme, however it is open to new entrants if they meet the scheme's eligibility criteria.
We welcome applications from motorsport organisations that can satisfy the scheme's operating, personnel, insurance, indemnity and legislative requirements.
We require the motorsport organisation have the following operating requirements:
- operating manuals, covering occupational health and safety policies and competition rules
- technical rules covering scrutineering of competing vehicles, course cars, emergency procedures, refuelling, vehicle eligibility, driver and co-driver eligibility and scoring
- document management systems to manage application forms relating to the rally vehicles and personal information.
We will need to review and approve these arrangements.
We require the motorsport organisation appoint suitably qualified and competent inspectors, responsible for:
- approving, refusing, cancelling and suspending authority to operate applications according to the organisation's technical rules
- securely and accurately keeping authority to operate application records
- correctly advising us of the outcomes of authority to operate applications in a timely manner.
We require the motorsport organisation to obtain and keep current:
- public risk insurance policy of not less than $20 million
- any other insurances required by law.
We require the motorsport organisation:
- indemnify the state, the minister and the department against all liability, loss, costs and expenses arising from or incurred in connection with anything caused by the motorsport organisation
- release the state from all liability, loss, costs and expenses arising from or incurred in connection with the state, department or minister doing anything they are permitted or obliged to do under the agreement.
We require the vehicles participating in the motorsport organisation's rally events comply with any other legal requirement, including compliance with relevant safe movement approvals for light vehicles made under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management – Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2021.
The current Safe Movement Guidelines for operating under the scheme are:
- Fitting of safety cages and harness type seatbelts in Motorsport Australia club rally vehicles.
- Queensland rally vehicle registration scheme (Motorsport Australia)
Updated version of the guidelines will be prepared and published for new entrants to the scheme.
For more information
Email the Vehicle Standards Unit for detailed eligibility requirements and additional information.
- Last updated 10 January 2024