Road planning and design manual - 2nd edition
Want to be notified when the RPDM (2nd edition) is updated? You can now subscribe to receive email alerts when we make changes to it. If you have a subscription and no longer wish to receive emails, you can also unsubscribe.
The Road Planning and Design Manual is the department’s primary reference for the planning and design of roads. It refers designers to the relevant Austroads publications for technical requirements, and outlines where Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads practice supplements or differs from the Austroads guides.
Planners and designers apply this manual to tailor each design to the particular circumstances of a project.
The Introduction to the Road Planning and Design Manual (2nd edition) explains the restructure of information in the second edition. It outlines the relationship between this manual, various Austroads guides, and other Transport and Main Roads publications.
Volume 1: Legislation
Volume 1: Legislation provides information about legislation relating to road design in Queensland.
Volume 2: Road Planning Guidelines
Volume 2: Road Planning Guidelines previously adopted the Austroads Guide to Road Transport Planning as Volume 2 of this manual. These guidelines are now superseded. Alternate content is being reviewed.
Volume 3: Guide to Road Design
Volume 3: Guide to Road Design includes the road design criteria and exceptions for Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads practice. It informs designers of the relationship between criteria in the Road Planning and Design Manual (1st edition), the Austroads Guide to Road Design and other publications.
Volume 3 has the same structure (Parts 1 to 7) as the Austroads Guide to Road Design so readers can easily cross-reference between documents.
The department of Transport and Main Roads has agreed in principle to adopt the standards published in Austroads Guides.
Transport and Main Roads seeks to eliminate duplication between the Road Planning and Design Manual and the Austroads Guide to Road Design. In the interest of national uniformity, this manual will ultimately only address aspects that are unique or important to Queensland practice which:
- vary from national practice because of local environmental conditions (e.g. soil types, climate)
- vary from national practice because of differing funding practices
- take account of research by the department or other organisations, superseding that which is recorded by Austroads
- do not feature enough detail in the Austroads guides
- satisfy local legislative requirements.
The department provides supplements in the Road Planning and Design Manual to Austroads Guides for specific Queensland conditions to expand the application of technical detail for the circumstances.
Supplements to Volume 3 include:
- Part 1: Objectives of Road Design
- Part 2: Network Wide Design (under development)
- Part 3: Geometric Design
- Part 4: Intersections and Crossings - General
- Part 4A: Unsignalised and Signalised Intersections
- Part 4B: Roundabouts
- Part 4C: Interchanges
- Part 5: Drainage - General and Hydrology Considerations
- Part 5A: Drainage - Road Surface, Networks, Basins and Subsurface
- Part 5B: Drainage - Open Channels, Culverts and Floodway Crossings
- Part 6: Roadside Design, Safety and Barriers
- Part 6A: Paths for Walking and Cycling
- Part 6B: Roadside Environment
- Part 7: New and Emerging Treatments
For more information related to Parts 5, 5A and 5B please see Frequently Asked Questions.
Volume 4: Road Tunnels
Volume 5: Intelligent Transport Systems
Volume 5: Intelligent Transport Systems covers intelligent transport systems (ITS) with specific focus on the impact of ITS on civil infrastructure for roads.
Volume 6: Lighting
Volume 6: Lighting covers Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads policy for road and bikeway lighting. It provides information on warrants, design and installation.
- Last updated 21 February 2024