Heavy vehicle operator guidelines
National notices and permit-based schemes
All national notices and permit-based schemes are implemented by the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator. The following are specific for Queensland.
Conditional registration (Form 17)
Controlled access buses (overall length not exceeding 14.5m)
Livestock loading in Queensland
A permit, can provide access for multi-combination livestock vehicles to:
- transport livestock to the Roma Saleyards and the meatworks facilities in Rockhampton
- help move drought affected livestock or fodder— access to certain roads within Darling Downs and the South West District is allowed under this permit.
Applications for a multi-combination permit are processed by the NHVR via the NHVR Portal.
For help setting up an account and submitting applications, phone the NHVR on 1300 696 487 during business hour.
Livestock Loading Scheme
The Livestock Loading Scheme addresses the difficulty of accurately assessing the mass of livestock when it is being loaded and transported throughout Queensland. It also recognises that livestock travel better when loaded to a comfortable density which provides better load stability and improved safety for both the vehicle and livestock.
View the Livestock Loading Scheme page for more information.
Queensland access condition guide
This guide is to be read in conjunction with:
- Safe Movement Guideline Over-dimension Light Agricultural Vehicles and Agricultural Combinations in Queensland
And the following National Heavy Vehicle Regulator Notices:
- Multi-State Class 1 Load Carrying Vehicles Dimension Exemption Notice
- Queensland Class 3 Heavy Vehicle (Indivisible Item) Dimension Exemption Notice
- Queensland Class 1 Special Purpose Combination Mass Dimension Exemption Notice
- Multi-State Class 1 Load Carrying Vehicles Mass Exemption Notice.
Pilot and escort operations in Queensland
The excess mass and dimensions page provides more detailed information for conditions of operations for excess mass and dimension vehicles.
Disaster assistance package
Disaster assistance package information bulletin
Drought assistance package
Drought assistance package information bulletin
Grain harvest management scheme
The scheme is administered by AgForce. More information is available from AgForce*.
Load Restraint Guide
Loading heavy vehicles safely is vital to preventing injury to people and damage to property.
The Load Restraint Guide 2018 provides transport drivers, operators, and other participants in the transport chain of responsibility with basic safety principles which should be followed for the safe carriage of loads on road vehicles.
indicates required fields
Help us improve the content on our website or tell us what is working well. Contact us if you need a response.