National Heavy Vehicle Regulator
The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) is Australia’s independent regulator for all vehicles over 4.5 tonnes mass.
The NHVR is a statutory authority responsible for administering the objects of the Heavy Vehicle National Law, including:
- access permit applications for heavy vehicles
- national driver work diary and risk classification system for advanced fatigue management
- national fees for NHVR services
- national notices
- national penalties
- National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme (NHVAS) management and accreditations
- Performance-Based Standards (PBS) Scheme vehicle design and access approvals
- vehicle standards modifications and exemption permits.
The department will continue to be responsible for:
- accreditation of vehicle inspection stations and approval of vehicle examiners
- heavy vehicle registration
- driver licensing
- booking heavy vehicle inspections
- dangerous goods regulation
- road rules
- drink and drug driving
- enrolling in the Intelligent Access Program
For more information visit the NHVR.
indicates required fields
Help us improve the content on our website or tell us what is working well. Contact us if you need a response.