National Heavy Vehicle Regulator
The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) is Australia’s independent regulator for all vehicles over 4.5 tonnes mass.
The NHVR is a statutory authority responsible for administering the objects of the Heavy Vehicle National Law, including:
- access permit applications for heavy vehicles
- national driver work diary and risk classification system for advanced fatigue management
- national fees for NHVR services
- national notices
- national penalties
- National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme (NHVAS) management and accreditations
- Performance-Based Standards (PBS) Scheme vehicle design and access approvals
- vehicle standards modifications and exemption permits.
The department will continue to be responsible for:
- accreditation of vehicle inspection stations and approval of vehicle examiners
- heavy vehicle registration
- driver licensing
- booking heavy vehicle inspections
- dangerous goods regulation
- road rules
- drink and drug driving
- enrolling in the Intelligent Access Program
For more information visit the >National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) website.
- Last updated 05 September 2023