Principal Cycle Network Plans
Principal Cycle Network Plans show core routes needed to get more people cycling more often. These routes are indicative and exist to guide further planning. The plans are intended to support, guide and inform the planning, design and construction of the transport network.
Priority Route Maps support delivery of the principal cycle network. The maps are addendums to the Principal Cycle Network Plans and identify the delivery priority state and local governments have assigned to principal cycle routes in each local government area.
The Queensland Government has worked closely with local governments to develop the Principal Cycle Network Plans and Priority Route Maps to guide the delivery of a connected and cohesive cycle network across Queensland.
The Principal Cycle Network Plans and Priority Route Maps reflect a 'one network' approach to cycle network planning and have been formally endorsed by all local governments covered and also by the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR).
We are undertaking a rolling review and update of the Principal Cycle Network Plans and Priority Route Maps in close consultation with local governments across Queensland.
Community consultation was undertaken from 29 July to 31 August 2022 to inform our review of the principal cycle network.
Read the Queensland Principal Cycle Network Update - Results of 2022 Community Consultation report to learn more about the consultation process and feedback received.
The review and update will result in the development of a consolidated Queensland Principal Cycle Network Plan with accompanying priority route maps. The consolidated plan will be available following endorsement by TMR and local governments.
For now, please continue to refer to the current Principal Cycle Network Plans below.
View the plans
- Last updated 28 August 2023
- South East Queensland Principal Cycle Network Plan 2007
- Far North Queensland Principal Cycle Network Plan 2009
- South East Queensland Priority Route Maps 2017
- Far North Queensland Priority Route Maps 2017
- North Queensland Priority Route Maps 2017
- Mackay Isaac Whitsunday Priority Route Maps 2017
- Central Queensland Priority Route Maps 2017
- Wide Bay Burnett Priority Route Maps 2017
- Downs South West Priority Route Maps 2017