Information for ride-booking drivers and operators
Changes have been made to strengthen ride-booking customer safety standards, and increase transparency for passenger fares.
Recent reforms across the whole personalised transport industry provide greater choice for customers, while ensuring safety, accessibility, affordability and accountability for everyone.
Read more about the reform and the framework for the personalised transport industry.
Helpful information for ride-booking operators and drivers
Authorisations and safety
Requirements to provide a booked hire service in Queensland
To provide a ride-booking service you will need to hold a drivers authorisation—the same as that held by taxi drivers. You must:
- have held an Australian Driver Licence (open or restricted) for 12 months. You can't provide a booked hire service if you have a provisional or probationary licence. A provisional or probationary driver licence holder does not meet this requirement
- ensure your vehicle is appropriately registered, roadworthy and has Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance
- ensure the booked-hire vehicle has a certificate of inspection (COI), unless exempt
- carry a copy of the booked hire service licence (BHSL) for the vehicle. This may be in either printed or in an electronic format (for example, on a smart phone) but must be presentable at all times
- display a sign in the rear window to identify the vehicle as a ride-booking vehicle
- provide an estimate of the fare before the journey commences or agree to the fare with the customer up front
- provide an itemised receipt of the fare if requested by a customer.
Checking currency and class of driver authorisation
The driver authorisation public register, previously known as the Passenger Transport Driver Authorisation System (PTDAS), is a free online service that allows the currency and classes of driver authorisation to be checked.
The register does not contain any personal information and only confirms the currency and classes of a driver authorisation number.
The currency of a driver authorisation can be checked on the driver authorisation public register.
indicates required fields
Help us improve the content on our website or tell us what is working well. Contact us if you need a response.