Eastern Transitway (Stage 1), bus priority works
The Eastern Transitway will provide bus customers in Brisbane's east with a safer and more efficient public transport network. The project will deliver targeted bus priority measures to improve safety, reliability, and capacity along Old Cleveland Road from Coorparoo to Carindale.
Stage 1 of the Eastern Transitway, located on Old Cleveland Road from Carindale Street to Narracott Street is now in use.
The project extends the benefits of the existing sections of the Eastern Busway by introducing sections of priority bus lanes. These bus priority measures improve bus service reliability and travel times in peak periods and help manage traffic congestion along the corridor.
Future stages of the Eastern Transitway are still in planning.
For public transport information, download the MyTransLink app, visit TransLink or call 13 12 30.
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Better active transport
- Reduces travel time
- Contributes to economy
- Provides a faster, safer, more reliable and accessible public transport corridor for bus services during peak periods each weekday.
- Separates buses from general traffic, allowing bus travel times to be reduced during peak periods.
- Improves bus timetable reliability on Old Cleveland Road.
- Supports existing high frequency bus services, encouraging more people to use public transport and allowing for greater public transport capacity in the future.
- Benefits bike riders and pedestrians through associated upgrades to the active transport connectivity.
- Assists emergency vehicles by allowing them to use the bus lanes, improving response times along Old Cleveland Road. Some other vehicles and bike riders are also permitted to use the transitway. More information on special purpose lanes.
This project is fully funded by the Queensland Government. Investment ID 729379
- Total investment
- $30 million
- Queensland Government
- $30 million
Eastern Transitway Stage 1 is now in operation on Old Cleveland Road, between Narracott Street and Carindale Street.
Project finalisation and minor works are expected to be completed in late 2022, weather and construction conditions permitting.