Bruce Highway—Cairns Southern Access Cycleway
We are reinvesting project savings to deliver a new off-road cycleway next to the Bruce Highway, consistent with the Cairns Bruce Highway Upgrade Masterplan. The project will deliver a safe off-road facility for bicycle riders of all abilities, including school children and the active transport community. The new cycleway also delivers a direct and continuous route with limited intersections to encourage bicycle riders to use the off-road facility.
This project will bring important benefits to bicycle riders and the active transport community in the Cairns region. The Cairns Southern Access Cycleway will connect to new cycleways built as part of the Bruce Highway—Cairns Southern Access Corridor— Stage 3: Edmonton to Gordonvale and Stage 4: Kate Street to Aumuller Street projects. Once all 3 projects are completed, 20km of direct cycleway will connect Gordonvale to Cairns CBD.
The Cairns Southern Access Cycleway will provide an essential missing link connecting the southern suburbs to the city. This important infrastructure provides a dedicated and safe link for all bike riders including school children between Edmonton, Mount Sheridan, White Rock and Woree.
The new cycleway provides safer connections to several schools, businesses and shopping precincts south of Cairns.
- Improves safety
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Reduces travel time
- Contributes to economy
- Better active transport
- Improves ride quality
- Reinvestment of savings achieved through the Bruce Highway—Cairns Southern Access Corridor—Stage 2: Robert Road to Foster Road project to construct a new 7km cycleway.
- A new direct, continuous route with limited intersections to encourage bike riders of all abilities to use the pathway.
- Link together cycleways being built as part of other projects to create a 20km continuous off-road shared pathway from Gordonvale to Cairns CBD.
- Investigate additional connections to the Cairns Southern Access Cycleway (Spence Street) at Woree.
The project is jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland governments.
The Cairns Southern Access Cycleway is a reinvestment of savings achieved through the $58 million Bruce Highway—Cairns Southern Access Corridor—Stage 2: Robert Road to Foster Road project jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland Governments. Funding provided on an 80:20 basis.