Bruce Highway (Innisfail - Cairns), Innisfail Bypass, plan and preserve corridor
The department is progressing a $9 million planning project to plan and protect a suitable road corridor for a future bypass of Innisfail, if required.
Options are being investigated for a future bypass of Innisfail to ensure the safety and efficiency of the Bruce Highway can be maintained in the medium to long-term.
- Improves safety
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Review existing strategic and detailed planning studies, to capture lessons learned to date.
- Review the transport network in vicinity of Innisfail, to define the current transport problem.
- Undertake a detailed assessment of options that address the transport problem.
- Evaluate and determine a preferred corridor option.
- Prepare land requirement plans, to inform future preservation activities.
- Develop recommendations regarding the priority in the short-term, medium and/or long-term.
The project is jointly funded under the Bruce Highway Upgrade Program by the Australian Government and the Queensland Government on an 80:20 (federal: state) basis. Investment ID 386179
- Total investment
- $9 million
- Australian Government
- $7.2 million
- Queensland Government
- $1.8 million
A planning study is currently being undertaken to identify and preserve a corridor for a future bypass of Innisfail. There is currently no funding available for construction.
During the planning stage we will:
- consider existing studies and lessons learned
- carry out comprehensive community consultation
- review the transport network to define the current transport problem
- conduct a detailed assessment of options to address the transport problem
- determine a preferred corridor option
- prepare land requirement plans to inform future preservation activities
- develop recommendations for the short, medium and/or long term.
Bruce Highway (Innisfail - Cairns), Innisfail Bypass, plan and preserve corridor map
The study area being considered is:
- north: Intersection of the Bruce Highway (Innisfail - Cairns) and Dillion Road
- south: Intersection of the Bruce Highway (Ingham to Innisfail) and South Johnstone Road
- east: Intersection of Mourilyan Harbour Road and Silvio Road west: Intersection of the Palmerston Highway (Innisfail - Ravenshoe) and Henderson Drive.