Cairns Western Arterial Road, Redlynch Connector Road to Captain Cook Highway, duplication
The department is undertaking a $300 million project to duplicate the Cairns Western Arterial Road between Redlynch Connector Road and Captain Cook Highway.
In October 2020, the Queensland Government committed to a $60 million upgrade of Cairns Western Arterial Road between Redlynch Connector Road and Kamerunga Road.
On 10 May 2021, the Australian Government committed a further $240 million to upgrade the remaining single lane sections of Cairns Western Arterial Road as part of the federal budget.
- Improves safety
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Reduces travel time
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Better active transport
- Upgrade of the section of the Cairns Western Arterial Road (CWAR) between Redlynch Connector Road and Captain Cook Highway to a 4-lane dual carriageway.
- Duplication of the rail overpass at Redlynch.
- Duplication of the Kamerunga Bridge over the Barron River.
The project is jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland governments on an 80:20 (federal:state) basis. Investment ID 1810618
As part of the 2023–24 Federal Budget, the Australian Government announced it is undertaking a 90-day review of Australian Government funded infrastructure projects. The department is awaiting the outcomes of this review, in order to determine impacts on jointly funded projects.
- Total investment
- $300 million
- Australian Government
- $240 million
- Queensland Government
- $60 million
Detailed design for the project commenced in April 2022.
The project will be carried out in 3 sections:
- Lake Placid Road to Captain Cook Highway (Section 1)
- Redlynch Connector Road to Harley Street, including duplication of the rail overpass at Redlynch (Section 2)
- Harley Street to Lake Placid Road, including a new Barron River bridge (Section 3).
Staging of these works will help minimise impacts to road users during construction.
Concept layout map
Download a PDF version of the Cairns Western Arterial Road, Redlynch Connector Road to Captain Cook Highway, duplication concept layout map.