The Eastern Transitway will provide bus customers in Brisbane's east with a safer and more efficient public transport network. The project will deliver targeted bus priority measures to improve safety, reliability and capacity along Old Cleveland Road from Coorparoo to Carindale.
Construction is progressing on Stage 1 of the Eastern Transitway project, delivering targeted, cost-effective on road bus priority improvements along Old Cleveland Road between Coorparoo and Carindale.
The $30 million project aims to extend the benefits of the existing sections of the Eastern Busway by introducing sections of priority bus lanes. These bus priority measures will improve bus service reliability and travel times in peak periods and will help manage traffic congestion along the corridor.
The project is being delivered using a staged approach, with Stage 1 focusing on the Creek Road intersection and extending to Narracott Street. No parking impacts are proposed for the Stage 1 works.
Community consultation to nearby Stage 1 residents and businesses began in late-2019 with wider community consultation continuing through the construction of Stage 1.
To register for project updates, contact Metropolitan Region by email, phone or post.
For public transport information, download the MyTransLink app, visit TransLink or call 13 12 30.
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Better active transport
- Reduces travel time
- Contributes to economy
- Provide a faster, safer, more reliable and accessible public transport corridor for bus services during peak periods each weekday.
- Separate buses from general traffic, bus travel times will be reduced during peak periods.
- Improve bus timetable reliability on Old Cleveland Road.
- Support existing high frequency bus services, encouraging more people to use public transport and allowing for greater public transport capacity in the future.
- Benefit bike riders and pedestrians through associated upgrades to the active transport connectivity.
- Assist emergency vehicles by allowing them to use the bus lanes, improving response times along Old Cleveland Road. Some other vehicles and bike riders will also be permitted to use the transitway. More information on special purpose lanes.
- Total investment
- $30 million
- Queensland Government
- $30 million
Construction on Stage 1 of the Eastern Transitway is underway on Old Cleveland Road, between Narracott Street and Carindale Street, and at the Old Cleveland Road and Creek Road intersection.
Construction is expected to be completed by late 2021, weather and construction conditions permitting.