Elizabeth Avenue, Clontarf, construct active transport overpass
A fully-enclosed pedestrian overpass over Elizabeth Avenue will be installed to provide a safe crossing facility between Clontarf Beach State High School's eastern and western campuses.
The overpass will provide the highest level of student protection at this location where the school campuses are split by a busy 4-lane, high-speed road.
An overpass is the recommended crossing facility for this location, as it will remove potential conflicts between vehicles and students.
This overpass will:
- improve connectivity with Clontarf Beach State High School's facilities on either side of Elizabeth Avenue.
- provide safer movements for pedestrians (including the elderly and less mobile), bike riders and mobility devices.
- benefit school students and community.
- Improves safety
- Contributes to economy
- Better active transport
- Constructing and installing a single span overpass with protective safety screen—the overpass will be compliant with the Disability Discrimination Act 1992.
- Installing staircases connecting to overpass ramps.
- Installing lockable access to the eastern campus of Clontarf Beach State High School.
- Extending existing pathways to connect to overpass ramps.
- Installing pedestrian barrier fencing on Elizabeth Avenue median, between Isobel Street and Oasis Court.
- Removing trees, vegetation trimming and landscaping of the area around the structure.
- Installing fauna fencing to prevent native wildlife from crossing the road (location to be determined with Moreton Bay Regional Council).
This project is jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland governments on an 80:20 basis. Investment ID 2253925
- Total investment
- $19 million
- Australian Government
- $15.2 million
- Queensland Government
- $3.8 million
Construction is expected to start in mid-2022 and be completed in mid-2023 (weather and construction scheduling permitting).
An information session was held on 26 April 2022 and a further session will be held to enable the community to discuss the overpass with the department's project team.
Date: Saturday 4 June 2022
Location: Silcock Street sports field, Clontarf
Please contact us directly to arrange individual briefings.