Gregory Developmental Road (Charters Towers - Lynd), package of works
The package of Gregory Developmental Road upgrades will deliver a stronger and wider surface, improving travelling conditions for motorists and a major culvert upgrade to improve flood resilience.
Existing sections of narrow Gregory Developmental Road (between Charters Towers and the Lynd) will be strengthened and widened. These works will improve safety and efficiency for all road users, particularly the large proportion of heavy vehicles which travel the inland route.
A major culvert under Gregory Developmental Road, at Porphyry Road, will also be upgraded to improve drainage and flood resilience.
These works are made up of 3 separate projects:
- $25 million to widen and strengthen 7km of pavement between Marble Creek and Christmas Creek, jointly funded under the Roads Stimulus Package (with the Australian Government contributing $20 million and the Queensland Government contributing $5 million)
- $15.31 million to widen and strengthen 4km of pavement between Airport Drive and Redbank Creek, jointly funded under the Roads of Strategic Importance early works package (with the Australian Government contributing $12.25 million and the Queensland Government contributing $3.06 million)
- $5.1 million culvert upgrade near Porphyry Road, entirely funded by the Queensland Government under the Roads Stimulus Package.
The current projects follow on from previous Gregory Developmental Road pavement strengthening and widening, completed in 2018–2020.
- Improves safety
- Improves network efficiency
- Better road access
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Reduces maintenance
- Improves ride quality
- 11km of pavement strengthening and widening.
- Increase average pavement width to 8m seal.
- Improved structural integrity of Gregory Developmental Road.
- Upgrade existing culvert near Porphyry Road and install a new culvert, to improve resilience of the drainage structure and roadway.
- Strengthened Gregory Developmental Road on the approaches to and above the culvert.
The pavement widening and strengthening package between Marble Creek and Christmas Creek is jointly-funded under the $415 million Road Stimulus Package, Investment ID 1697820
The pavement widening and strengthening package between Airport Drive to Redbank Creek is jointly-funded under the $185 million Roads of Strategic Importance early works package, Investment ID 1534377
The culvert upgrade is funded under the Queensland Government’s $400 million Road Stimulus Package, Investment ID 1649218
The 3 projects are funded under separate packages as outlined above. In total, across the 3 projects, the following funding commitments have been made:
- Total investment
- $45.41 million
- Australian Government
- $32.25 million
- Queensland Government
- $13.16 million
Construction of the three packages of work commenced in July 2021. Works at all sites is due to be completed by late-2023.