Gulf Developmental Road (Croydon - Mount Garnet), strengthen and widen pavement
The Gulf Developmental Road is the principal freight and tourism route connecting Carpentaria Shire via the Kennedy Highway, with the Bruce Highway coastal link. The road is sealed, however there are 19 sections spread over 47kms that are only single lane.
These single lane sections create safety and capacity concerns when vehicles are passing.
The 2 projects being delivered include widening of the first 5 single-lane road sections to 2-lanes.
The works will include the widening of 5 single-lane road sections with gravel shoulders. The sections will be widened to accommodate 2 lanes and a full-width seal in line with current standards. In addition, an existing 2-lane section, which immediately adjoins the single-lane sections, will be rehabilitated to further improve road safety.
- Improves safety
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Reduces maintenance
- Improves ride quality
Works during the delivery phase include:
- Bulk earthworks to accommodate widening.
- Construction of new pavement.
- Full width spray sealing of the widened road formation.
- Replacement or extension of culverts.
- Line marking and other road marking processes.
- Installation, adjustment and/or treatment of light poles, signposts, signage, and crash barriers.
- Traffic management and staging.
- Environmental, cultural heritage and native title management.
These projects are jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland governments under the ROSI program, based on an 80:20 funding arrangements.
Project 1: $12.32 million - Investment ID: 1512054
Project 2: $9.22 million - Investment ID: 1512197
- Total investment
- $21.54 million
- Australian Government
- $17.23 million
- Queensland Government
- $4.30 million
We have started construction for Project 2 and are in pre-construction for Project 1.
Gulf Developmental Road Single Lane Widening project overview map