Kennedy Highway (Cairns - Mareeba), Kuranda Range, Intelligent Transport System
Installation of additional Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) treatments on Kuranda Range Road is underway. The ITS treatments will make it quicker and easier to manage incidents and reduce the risk of crashes.
- Improves safety
- Improves network efficiency
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- The ITS stations will be equipped with roadside data systems and signs that can display variable speed limits.
- The ITS stations will allow rapid detection and management of incidents on Kuranda Range Road. It is expected that the treatments will reduce incidents and shorten the length of time for closures of the road, improving trip reliability.
- The ITS stations will also provide real-time information about road surface conditions. When sections of the road deteriorate due to wet weather, the speed limit for these sections will be remotely adjusted, making it safer for motorists.
- The project will not increase capacity on Kuranda Range Road.
- Due to the challenging construction environment, the department will deliver the project within the existing road footprint.
Artist's impression of the proposed ITS station
This project is jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland governments on an 80:20 basis. Investment ID: 1608296
- Total investment
- $35 million
- Australian Government
- $28 million
- Queensland Government
- $7 million
We are currently installing the ITS stations.